Cleaners have Night Vision (V22)

It seems that the Cleaner enemies can see farther at night than Xenonaut soldiers, as I started a night mission, and when one of my soldiers went out the door, a cleaner fired a reaction shot against the soldier, even though I couldn't see the Cleaner until I threw a flare. If Cleaners are suppose to be humans with just their brains altered, shouldn't they have the same vision range at night as normal soldiers?

If you read the Autopsy-Research-Text you will know why, esp. in the Head-Part. In the first Half of the Game you have be very carefull with your Soldiers and Support-Vehicles etc.

Then after you have R & D to enemy Standard (which takes long) in Special-Parts it get much easyer.

Edited by Alienkiller

8 hours ago, captainwolfer said:

It seems that the Cleaner enemies can see farther at night than Xenonaut soldiers, as I started a night mission, and when one of my soldiers went out the door, a cleaner fired a reaction shot against the soldier, even though I couldn't see the Cleaner until I threw a flare. If Cleaners are suppose to be humans with just their brains altered, shouldn't they have the same vision range at night as normal soldiers?

Yeah. I get what you're saying there and I agree to an extent, but it's quite difficult to get the AI to be a real threat to the player unless they have a decent night vision range. Most likely what'll happen is the player will throw a flare and illuminate a Cleaner and then they can safely pick it off from range because the AI won't really understand how to throw flares in order to return fire.

Maybe some advanced night-fighting AI is something we can look at if we have time before release (or maybe a system where units are lit up for a turn if they fire a weapon), but it seems like it would be a lot of work for fairly marginal gain compared to other things we could be doing.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chris said:

Maybe some advanced night-fighting AI is something we can look at if we have time before release (or maybe a system where units are lit up for a turn if they fire a weapon), but it seems like it would be a lot of work for fairly marginal gain compared to other things we could be doing.

For the aliens, you can make a weapon with a motion detector. Which shoots at a target out of sight at lightning speed if the target hits the scope. For example, when the alien turns. Or at the expense of AP, which an alien can spend on "scanning the terrain with a detector." This will increase the difficulty of the game. And this will be an interesting feature of Xenonauts 2.

The accuracy of such aiming may not be great, but it will explain "shooting out of the dark."

Also, for xenonauts, you can come up with the function "throw (stick out) tactical shield from around the corner" to provoke the alien to react (shooting) and protect the operative.

Edited by Komandos