[v19 Ground Combat] Battle result issue

MrAlex

On 5/26/2021 at 12:56 AM, Chris said:

Weapon Components: you no longer recover alien weapons from combat (because they self-destruct), but instead you recover components that can be spent on upgrades or constructing advanced weapons - if you've played XCOM it's a similar system to their "weapon fragments". As alien weapons can't be used by humans anyway, I think this works well to give the player a reward after each battle (as you always get some components, even if you don't get alloys or alenium) and makes some of the engineering choices in the early game a bit more interesting.

Why are only killed aliens taken into account when calculating the reward? When I killed 6 aliens, I received 30 items. After loading the last save and capturing one alien alive, I got only 25. 

Living alien costs 5,000 more than a dead one, but 5 items cost 50,000. Thus, the difficulty of capturing a living alien is not justified by the reward.
Captured Aliens must also give weapon components to the player, maybe even more than the dead, because weapons do not self-destruct and can be disassembled into more components.

Another problem I've noticed is that local forces are always considered dead in combat, even if they survive.
The screenshot shows that one local force and one civilian survived, but the results show that only a civilian survived.

Before End.jpg

Battle Res.jpg

user_m_4-24.json

On 5/30/2021 at 9:19 PM, MrAlex said:

Why are only killed aliens taken into account when calculating the reward? When I killed 6 aliens, I received 30 items. After loading the last save and capturing one alien alive, I got only 25. 

Living alien costs 5,000 more than a dead one, but 5 items cost 50,000. Thus, the difficulty of capturing a living alien is not justified by the reward.
Captured Aliens must also give weapon components to the player, maybe even more than the dead, because weapons do not self-destruct and can be disassembled into more components.

Another problem I've noticed is that local forces are always considered dead in combat, even if they survive.
The screenshot shows that one local force and one civilian survived, but the results show that only a civilian survived.

user_m_4-24.json

Thanks. I actually think there's no bug here - if I stun the alien, I get 4 corpses and 1 stunned alien and 25 components. If I shotgun the alien and kill them I get 5 coprses and 25 components (see below). I think the "missing" alien is probably because an alien was killed with an explosion, which now destroys their corpse and equipment?

You're right the local forces are incorrectly marked as killed, which we'll have a look at.

image.png

22 hours ago, Chris said:

I think the "missing" alien is probably because an alien was killed with an explosion, which now destroys their corpse and equipment?

No it is not.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:19 PM, MrAlex said:

The above means that I saved the game after killing 5 aliens (save attached to the message).
If I kill the sixth I get 30 items, if I stun him I get 25 items.
This means that the aliens captured alive do not give any items at all.

7 hours ago, MrAlex said:

No it is not.

The above means that I saved the game after killing 5 aliens (save attached to the message).
If I kill the sixth I get 30 items, if I stun him I get 25 items.
This means that the aliens captured alive do not give any items at all.

I've tested the save already though. The screenshot I posted is what I get if I load the save and kill the alien - there's only 5 corpses listed, and no stunned alien. Can you post the screenshot showing you get 6 corpses and 30 weapon components if you kill him please?

EDIT - to let you test this I've created a Steam branch called "Legacy" on your version of the game. That contains the previous version (V19) so you can use that to load the old saves!

Now I understand what you mean. It's just that I didn't see your screenshot at first.
I only have playtest access, although in any case it makes no sense to test it on the old version if a new version is available. I'd better keep testing it on the new version.

P.S. If it's still important to you, I have this version of the game on my old PC.

12 hours ago, MrAlex said:

Now I understand what you mean. It's just that I didn't see your screenshot at first.
I only have playtest access, although in any case it makes no sense to test it on the old version if a new version is available. I'd better keep testing it on the new version.

P.S. If it's still important to you, I have this version of the game on my old PC.

No problem, you don't need to test it again then :)