Unable to find ground combat / crash sub event exist in alpha version?

New purchaser of Alpha version.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I cant seem to get any crash alien subs to spawn.

Gone about 2 months fighting enemies only above land. Each one is completely destroyed by my fighter jets.

Looking forward to trying out ground assault, I just can't seem to figure out how to get this event to occur.

The only XCOM version I have played is Terror from the Deep.

Some advice.

1) There are no alien subs. If you shoot an alien ship over the sea, you'll never see it again.

2) A light scout sucks up 2-3 sidewinders before crashing. Magic number 4 will destroy it.

3) An ordinary scout will suck up 4 sidewinders before crashing. Avalanches will destroy it.

4) Fightercraft will always blow up.

5) So will bombers.

5a) And heavy fighters.

6) A corvette will suck up 4 avalanches before crashing. Good luck fighting one otherwise.

Hmm. I came here to post about the same problem. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one, but...doesn't this seem a bit attention-intensive just to get a UFO to crash? I feel like I'm missing something in air combat in general. Am I really not supposed to be able to control anything but what weapons they don't fire and whether or not they're afterburning or barrel-rolling?

For such a frustratingly hands-off experience, I would hope in the final version your likelihood of forcing a UFO to crash will be a significantly more user-friendly.

And just so I understand...we're supposed to damage the enemy craft...and then what? Just leave it alone and wait for it to crash? They're burning through my MiGs and F-17s fast enough as it is, and I was being as aggressive as I could.

On a lighter note: Love the game! I know I sound like a grumpalous but I'm getting a real kick out of this. It's Xcom! But...user-friendly! (With the exception of the aforementioned air combat, of course.) Can't wait to see more of it as the development continues.

Am I really not supposed to be able to control anything but what weapons they don't fire and whether or not they're afterburning or barrel-rolling?

Oktober. You can select which UFO the aircrafts attack. you can set way points for the planes so that you flank UFOs etc.

And just so I understand...we're supposed to damage the enemy craft...and then what? Just leave it alone and wait for it to crash? They're burning through my MiGs and F-17s fast enough as it is, and I was being as aggressive as I could.

No, you should not wait for a UFO to crash. you have to kill it for it to crash. It's just that if you kill it too much, deal damage equal to or more than 115% (or 120%?) of its total HP it will be completely destroyed instead of crashing...

Edited by Gorlom

Hmm...I'll have to try that.

Also, thanks to Max's advice, I got to some ground combat! Yay! ...and then the game went into a never-ending Hidden Movement screen. :(

Ah well. Guess I'll have plenty of time to practice my interceptor skills....

Well I just downloaded it through Desura for the first time yesterday (and promptly lost about 12 hours straight!)

Yeah turns out my rant was mostly due to my personal inability to figure stuff out. After Gorlom's post, air combat has become a much more entertaining affair, and...as for the fighters, I'm really not sure. The first game I played, my base was in Europe, and it seemed like after the first 2 missions, I got nothing but fighters (and the occasional corvette) for months.

I started a new game and am based in North America, and everything is proceeding very smoothly. I get a few fighters here and there, but nothing overwhelming. Lots of scouts pop in for me to try and take down, and now that I know how to direct my interceptors, I'm having a great time and getting a lot of ground missions.

Whee!

Also please bear in mind that I may be flat out wrong about the lack of scouts showing up prior to reading Gorlom's post. As I had also not yet read Max's post above about overkill, I was unleashing all manner of heck upon each enemy craft (largely because I was sick of getting my jets shot down) so it's not unlikely that I was getting scouts and just vaporizing them.

Once I did read the above posts, it seemed like I was getting mostly fighters, but by that point I'd been doing such a crappy job that waves upon waves of enemy craft were blowing through my airspace constantly. I think I'd just entered a downward spiral and couldn't get out of it. Which brings up another question, which I'll open up a new thread to inquire about here shortly.