How many radars in a base?

I am curious how many radars do you people put in a single base?

Currently I am playing with 4 in every base, which gives me fairly good detection rates of UFO's.

And by detection rates I mean the actual UFO's showing on the Geoscape.

Could someone please explain what does 20% short range detection and 1% long range detection (with 4 radars) mean?

When I look at it in game, I believe it means a percentage chance to detect a UFO every minute that it is within that range bracket. Once detected, it will remain tracked until it escapes to space or leaves radar coverage. I would suspect the size of the UFO would have an effect on detection, and obviously it's possible to detect very small and small ufos in the kickstarter build, so there must not be a very great penalty for small UFOs, if any.

I seem to always detect aliens within my radar coverage before they can cause alien attacks / events, so I think the chance of detection with even a single radar is pretty good right now. I've found it more useful in terms of protecting my funding / humanity to build several small bases with a single radar, storeroom and hangar. This alone seem successful enough to protect my funding and keep it increasing.

As they continue to develop the later stages of the game, I imagine they'll tweak this to make detection and interception harder, at least if they want us to invest in better radars, etc later in the game. At the very least, larger UFOs will be way too nasty to handle with a single hangar, so one would need to invest in bigger side-bases.