Question: UFO Props as items

drages

Heyo..

As i looked to ufo tiles, i saw weapon torpedoes and weapon beams at props directory..

The question is:

1. Can i add this props as item? How?

2. Can i loot them like cores or antigravity?

If it can be done, i can make nice recycle projects :)

thx

1)

Items.xml controls whether an item is auto-sold or not.

Setting an item's type to "Uncapped" will allow it to be kept rather than auto-sold. For manufactured items you need to set it to "Normal"

2)

I think you need a "recoveryString" or something like that in the prop's file. Kabill should know more on the subject.

Those props have no items; you need to add them. This is simple enough:

1) Add a new entry to items.xml (e.g. item.ufotorpedo)

2) Load up the relevant props in the submap editor (note that there's two torpedo props and four beam weapon props in case you didn't notice).

3) There's a field in the bottom right corner which allows you to specify an item that is recovered from the prop. Enter the name of the item there.

4) If you want the item to be recovered even if the prop is damaged/destroyed, click on the tab in the top right corner labelled "default" (I think) and choose "damaged"/"destroyed" and enter the name of the item under each of those tabs too (you probably don't want to do this to allow the item to be destroyed by stray fire, but thought I'd point it out anyway).

5) Save the spectre.

Remember that when you're adding those props all ufos from corvette upwards have more than one submap, so add them to each submap or you'll get situations where a ufo gives the appropriate yield one time and doesn't another because you haven't accounted for all the submaps.

This is only necessary if you remove the existing props and replace them with entirely new ones. If you just edit the existing spectres it will change them across all UFOs.

That is true, and it does lead to another point. If you want to accurately reflect that each ufo has a new, increasingly powerful set of guns, you'd have to replace the prop spectre and replace it with another one, as if you just altered the spectre you be altering the spectre for every ufo.

This is only necessary if you remove the existing props and replace them with entirely new ones. If you just edit the existing spectres it will change them across all UFOs.

Kabill, when i changed the subfile and save it works but when i use it at mod, nop.. do u have any advise?

Kabill, when i changed the subfile and save it works but when i use it at mod, nop.. do u have any advise?

Not sure what you mean exactly. If I've understood correctly and you're taking the modified files and putting them in a mod to implement the changes, you will also need make them merge using the mod-merging tools. This is easy enough: just open up the spectres in notepad++/whatever and add to the top element: MODMERGE="replace".

E.g. This:

<spectre id="damaged_overlay" width="1" height="1" version="1">

Would change to this:

<spectre MODMERGE="replace" id="damaged_overlay" width="1" height="1" version="1">