Modified precision rifle

endersblade

I dunno about you guys, but I got so sick and tired of seeing a scope and iron sight on the same gun. It looks terrible, and was driving my OCD crazy!

So I took a stab at making it look more like a precision rifle. I removed the iron sight, I extended the barrel. I know it's not much, but it was driving me crazy! I did it in MS paint, it doesn't look terrible in-game lol.

I know, a small little nitpick, and most people probably don't even notice. Hopefully SOMEONE will find some use for this. Feel free to toss it into any mod, I give free permission.

From this:

DPUuXkh.png

To this:

6hGv5Vb.png

Installation

Just drop the assets folder into your main Xenonauts install directory (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Xenonauts) and let it overwrite the files and off you go.

UPDATE: Added Xenopedia image.

precisionrifle 3.zip

precisionrifle 3.zip

precisionrifle 3.zip

Edited by endersblade
added image

before you point it, i actually never take enough attention, now i saw it, i cant let it ouf of my mind, sleek, almost certainly a subtle way to add on "fidelity" to the weapons, nicely done pal. Using it right now :)!

Thanks, glad you like it :-)

Unfortunately I'm not good enough to make it a TRUE sniper-type rifle. MOST of them are bolt action, but even barring that (it's a game, not real life, after all) the clip loads the bullet too far up the barrel for my tastes. Just looking at it makes me think assault rifle with a scope lol. But I'm satisfied with my edit, and I hope others are too.

Hmm, found an issue. Apparently the white (supposed to be transparent) background got saved as actual white, so it shows up as white in combat missions. Oops. Will fix it. Like I said, done with MS paint, I'm certainly no artist. Downloading GIMP now, will hopefully have the new fixed version up soon.

Ok! Tested out in-game and this time it works :-) Sorry about that! Please redownload!

Edited by endersblade

Well, aaahn... someone had to point it out.

Actually the new version is less real than the old one (just google for scoped G3).

By the way, in some scoped weapons you still can use the iron sights even with the scope 'cause the scope support is not directly over the barrel or have a hole in it to allow you to use the iron sight. I dunno how it's made on the G3, but it's how it usually was made in WWII era rifles and lots of russian sights.

Also the G3 is not a dedicated sniper rifle like the AWP or PSG-1 (dedicated sniper rifle based on G3 mechanichs). G3 is supposed to be flexible and even real life sniper version of it have iron sights. And, well... why did you inverted the barrel and the gas recovery cylinder positions, anyway? This is what really made me wonder...

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

I know what gun it's modeled after, I looked it up (Btw, that's also how I found out about google image's drag and drop search - neat!) but it's not anything that even remotely reminds of of what I'd consider to be a precision rifle. I just wanted something that looks more, say, hunting rifle style (just for argument's sake) than assault rifle. Scoped, long barrel, that sort of thing.

As I said, I'm horrible at image modding and making, so I made do with what I could. I appreciate the criticism, but there's no point in debating if it's 'real' or not, it's a game. Would what I made work in real life? I HIGHLY doubt it lol. But I can't make it how I wanted because I suck using GIMP. :-)

I'm satisfied with it, you've done a better job than I ever could, and I hope to see more edited weapons by you. I would suggest that if you want to make further edits to weapons, give them new names. What sets your OCD off in seeing both a scope and an iron sight will set other people off if you visually edit a weapon and call it by the same name.

I don't know if it would be all that relevant, but here's an image of an M24 that seems to be appropriate (with scaling and an added optic) for Xenonauts:

javm24blk_2.jpg

Granted, I recognize that the Xenonauts timeline predates the M24 by about 30 years, but whatever, it still looks cool :P

EDIT:

So, I tried my hand at gimp with that image, and tried to make a xenonauts version. Here's the result:

qvPe29x.png

And here's a version with the underlighting toned down a bit and the sling rings removed.

3DxqRYu.png

Edited by JDCollie

Thanks :D You're welcome to use it if you want; I just made it to see what it would look like.

Awesome, thanks :-) when I get home I'll see about implementing it, and release it as an update and give you the credit!

That gun is almost exactly what I had in mind. It looks like an older stock, not the newer looking one we currently have. It just has that feel to me that it's used for some serious long range sniping, with no bells and whistles.

• 1 year later...

The factory mount for a HK G3, which is what the model in the game is taken off of is open underneath and you can indeed look down the "Irons" though they aren't true irons. They are set for 100, 200, 300 and 400 meters on a one click clockwise rotation on the rear sight piece and have a "halo" forward sight which allows you to "Hide the Ring" and get a good shot on factory sights. As with all things HK, the G3 "Irons" are remarkably accurate. I miss my old peashooter.