Questions about air combat. (mechanics)

I saw something but am not sure on how it works.

1.- I have read that dodging uses extra fuel. How much?

2.- Do the slide bar to select airplane speed impacts on fuel? How much?

3.- How much extra fuel uses the speed boost?

4.- When I receive the "Low Fuel" warning to return my base, how much time I have to do this? must I return inmediately or have I some time time to do?

5.- There is any way to know what interceptor is te UFO facing? (I mean that we can know with red spot and the red icon what UFO are facing each of ours planes and if we would know what interceptor is facing the UFO we could use it to bait the enemy).

6.- Before engaging we can see the estimated fight time in seconds depending on remaining fuel, is this time the time estimated at maximum speed or at minimum speed or what?

7.- There is any way to join separated interceptors (when launched separated) in one group and also if we can separate a interceptor from a made group (when launched together).

Thanks a lot for the help.

4. If you receive the low fuel warning in the air combat segment, you must immediately retreat when it asks if you want to stay or go. If you stay then you may complete the combat, but your aircraft will be destroyed. If you successfully retreat you will have enough fuel to return to base, regardless of what it says on the screen.

5. Not immediately. You have to guess from the way that ufos head towards their target. Which means splitting up the squadron in different directions when you commence air combat.

6. Maximum, non-afterburner speed.

7. No, and no.

1) Not any more it doesn't (it used to work very differently a long time ago).

2) Yes, the slower you fly the less fuel you use.

3) x3 fuel (for x1.5 speed)

4) You will get a pop-up when the plane must return to base.

5) Not that I'm aware of, although it becomes fairly obvious quite soon after the combat starts.

6) I think that's how much flight time you have based on maximum (but not afterburner) speed.

7) No, once a squadron is made it can't be reformed without returning to base.

I wonder if improving the interceptor's range would be more fun or not, since the number od UFO's per wave is limited as is the loadout.

Could be an useful thing early on when new players have trouble with air combat.

Personally, I find air combat to be too short. Mind you, if you know what you are doing, it's all over in 20 seconds, but I am still learning the tactics.

Unlimited fuel could be interesting, except when UFO air superiority squadron hits you with your pants down, and you try to hightail home. Ouch.

Edited by BULIGO

4. If you receive the low fuel warning in the air combat segment, you must immediately retreat when it asks if you want to stay or go. If you stay then you may complete the combat, but your aircraft will be destroyed. If you successfully retreat you will have enough fuel to return to base, regardless of what it says on the screen.
Occasionally, with Condors your plane will still crash even if you "Yes" immediately. That bug has never been fixed.