Is OpenOffice bonking up my XML files?

LordJulian

I do believe that somehow using Openoffice to work on the weapons/items .xml files etc. has manged to turn my equipment screen in-game blank, and with no equipment to choose from at all when I tried to mod weapons using the Weapons Tutorial Mikhail showed. I could save the files once but after that OpenOffice got funny with me and refused to save subsequently.

It does help alot with making the organizing look better, but I think that would be the source of the problem. Are there alternatives to opening XML files in n organized fashion?

OpenOffice, really, not LibreOffice?

LibreOffice worked fine for me in that everything worked in-game, but it does mess up the files for anyone who later wants to open them in Excel. Really, I've found that just sticking to a text editor works best.

It might be OpenOffice, or it might be a user error.

The best way to check would be to open up a vanilla file with OO, save it, and then see if the same thing happens - this would confirm if OO is the culprit or not.

Yep, definitely Openoffice.

I've just read a source somewhere that claims that XML files are ficky with OpenOffice, guess I might have to try the LibreOffice that Solver mentioned.