Game crashes on Crash sites

HI All,

Big fan of the original Xcom Series . I am trying to be patient as I just bought this game yesterday. I can do everything but play the crash landings . you get the loading screen but then it loads the standard dropship with the soldiers and menu surrounded in the fog of war but I cant do anything I have to restart my computer to close the program which is very frustrating . When I try and load the autosave I get the program is not responding message .

since buying the game I have been able to play one game which was a ufo landing not a crash. I cant say I am too impressed so far . but as I said I am trying to be patient

This is the steam version of the game . 1.09 (20/07/2014)

G770 graphics card - (windows 8.1) latest 3.40.52 drivers

What Can I do ?

Edited by themetalmonkey
to comply with bug reports posting rules

HI Chris,

I have tried your steps above , but it doesn't seem to help. Same issue. I did install this on a laptop and was able to play a crash mission. What seems to be the issue is the initial text that tells you that this is a crash mission etc and this is at night so use flairs . I think this is where the game is crashing thinking it is being drawn on the screen but it is not so I cant click ok the mouse moves but I cant do anything .

Any other Ideas ?

Hmmm. So if you've validated your files and replaces the tiles, that doesn't really give much scope for other things to try.

If it's affecting almost all of your missions it's likely to be an issue with your laptop's integrated graphics getting overloaded when the entire map loads at the start of the combat (except occasionally when you end up with a smaller map), which is why I asked you to try replacing the tile atlases. That usually resolves the memory issue for people on laptops.

The very last thing that *might* help is manually deleting the game files (not via Steam) and then re-installing the game, as occasionally there's something in the game directory causing load issues.

Perhaps you could also try loading a second landed UFO mission and see if it loads up fine there again, as you said that worked before? If crash missions always crash but landed missions always load then perhaps there's an issue there we could look into.

If that doesn't work then I'm afraid the best course of action is to ask you to seek a refund from Steam - I'm happy to support you in getting one, as the game doesn't seem to be working for you. Sorry about that.

Update. I was looking to see if there was anything I could upload but the crash file located in the steam folder has no info in it at all. Please let me know what else I can try . As you can imagine all I have done is pay 18.99 for a program that now forces me to restart my PC to get rid of the game running , as end task in Task manager does nothing .

I have also tried running the program in compatibility mode for windows 7 . Running in Windowed mode . disabled Anti virus , stopped all running programs before launching.

Is there any previous version I can download and try ? So I can see if it is a problem with the most current build ? I am assuming I am the only one with this problem as I cant see anyone else on the forum with this issue .

Asus impact - Motherboard

Haswell CPU

770 Graphics card

16gb ram

Samsung 840 SSD

Hmmm. So if you've validated your files and replaces the tiles, that doesn't really give much scope for other things to try.

If it's affecting almost all of your missions it's likely to be an issue with your laptop's integrated graphics getting overloaded when the entire map loads at the start of the combat (except occasionally when you end up with a smaller map)

HI Just to be clear . I was running it on a Surface pro 3 (laptop) , and it works fine albeit a small screen . Its my main PC that has the problem which is what I bought it for .

Thank you for the offer of a refund . I would like to try a few more things before I give up . perhaps it is an issue with my PC , Maybe I should reinstall a few things . Also if you wanted to remote desktop for investigation reason you are more than welcome

HI Chris,

I tried a few more things last night . Removing graphics drivers . Running in safe mode . and the like . I am going to reinstall Windows 8.1 this weekend to see if it fixes the issue . If I cant fix it then I may need to take you up on your refund offer . Is there anything that you can think is causing this ? Its like it is waiting for me to do something but nothing is showing on the screen.

I'm afraid I can't think of anything else that might help the situation, sorry (although I know that's frustrating, I'm out of ideas).

You'll have to go through Steam to get a refund, but I'm happy for them to give you one and I suggest you say you when you contact them and link this thread if you do decide to claim one.

Did you try running it with the other graphic card?

Not sure if it's applicable to you, but with Win 7 you can select which GPU to use with any program.

Find the Xenonauts.exe, right click, "Run with graphic processor" -> select one or the other.

Also, I would find a RAM check program and verify that your RAM is not faulty. There should be plenty online free to download.

Gam

Gam

HI All,

Just a quick update , I reinstalled my PC last night I managed to play my first crash mission . So hurray :). I am not sure what the problem was , My PC has never had an issue like this and was not exhibiting any symptoms of a problem. All other games worked fine.

Hopefully this is the end of it . I will update you if I get any other problems tonight

Thanks for your input Chris & Gam

HI Chris,

NO I have just 1 ssd installed on my PC . I have also not installed a few other things like Asus motherboard software and some of the other Intel Smart connect software as I don't need them . I did have trouble with my Real tech sound card though which was strange . I actually tested running the game without any sound . Since I tried that I have reinstalled my sound card drivers so I will be able to do a proper test later today to see if it was related ( I Think not ) but you never know

A tip for Task Manager: go to the Processes tab and kill Xenonauts.exe from there. Always worked for me, and Xenonauts was crashing about 80% of the time, apparently due to faults in the engine in code Goldhawk can't change.

To rule out that it isn't the same bug that I'm experiencing, try loading a mission that's in Geoscape, opening the Load Game, Save Game, or Options menu and just wave the mouse around like Abdul the Cat. I was doing that to crash unstable launches before they wasted more than a few seconds of my time.

And to follow Gam's advice: http://www.downloadmoreram.com/

...oops, he was talking about RAM diagnostic programs, not RAM, sorry ;p