Where do you put your bases?

I tend to put bases all over the world , even on Antarctica. Sometimes I even put one in Finland because I live there.

But honestly, its kind of bummer how base location in the end amounts to only just "What is good location for radars?" and "Where are UFO going to fly by the most?" =/ There should be bonuses based on location or something just so there would be SOMETHING good in creating secret Antarctica base.

Initial base goes in the NE corner of North Africa. Covers Europe, North Af and the Middle East, with a bit of coverage of Russia and Indochina, allowing me to reap the rewards of shooting down anything in my radar range as stuff being shot down over the sea doesn't currently count.

Second base is southern North America for coverage. Third is often China.

There was a reason why I wanted bigger ranges for the Chinooks, as it means less focus on optimal base placement.

I don't think there is really that big an issue with optimal base placement as it stands.

Looking back at peoples posts in here there seems to be a trend of one base per continent but no real consensus on where to start or in what order.

With the enemies coming in waves you are probably going to need multiple dropships and teams anyway so it makes sense to have them in different areas to minimise your travel times.

The only location sensitive part of a base is its radar, no real point having two large radar installations next to each other.

Nothing else needs to be in a specific place unless you have bases focused on manufacturing.

In that situation you would probably want it near another base to reduce the amount of time your vulnerable transport craft has to spend in the air.

What kinda worries me though, is income and new bases. Bases are expensive, and it's not like the nations are throwing money at us. When we choose a location, the other main continent gets totally left to fend for itself. It seems like it'll take a lot of time to garner enough money, while still performing adequately, to establish a base on the other prime continent.

Using the "M" feature I built a base in Europe, USA and Indochina. Original one was Europe. By the time I got to my monthly review, the states were pissed as hell, despite me having shot down several UFO's there before the review.

Though it could be that they are supposed to be very.. er.. true to the source material. :P

The income and expenditure hasn't been balanced yet.

Maybe the funding nations displeasure should be tied in to the ticker a little.

In the beginning stages they won't get too annoyed because they are still exploring their own options for dealing with the threat.

It's only when they realise they are out classed that they start to expect you to carry the whole burden of defence.

It might be worth making it easier to get a new base operational as well.

Place your command centre and then anything directly beside it has reduced build time for example.

That would give you the chance to have a small, but operational, base in place faster.

You would then need to decide if you wanted to expand that base or go on to another new one.

It might lead to riskier base designs though if you always end up with a couple of hangars right beside the command centre.

First base in Greece, near Sparta. Covers Europe, Middle east, North africa, and the USSR.

Second base, in Florida, US. Covers most of NA, all of Central America, and some of south America.

Never got futher than that gos the game crashes in the "Hidden Movement" screen during missions.

I image the next Base will be in North Australia, or South China, though.

Still, I would like something that makes bases feel unique based on their location. I mean, whats point of secret Antarctica base when its useless because it doesn't cover any useful area with radar?... Even if there aren't any bonuses to bases, it would be nice if during base attacks there would be something that visually separates them or at least you get more recruits from country you put base in in those bases.

Well, if you have underground base in desert or iceberg, you could do some visual ef- Oh wait, Xenonauts and other XCOM type games don't show any ground on bases =/

I guess it could work on XCOM: Enemy Unknown with their ant farm base, they could have entrance have terrain of where you put base and have ground next to base facilities change... But they'll probably just have one fixed location for the base :P

Maybe base could have its own icon depending on location its put into? Like those drawn pics in xenopedia and such?