Grenade accuracy

For God's sake, how can I improve aim on grenades? 8/10 grenades my soldiers throw end up exploding under their noses. Only triple miss at 95% chance irritates me more than this. Is there a mod for this or anything?

For God's sake, how can I improve aim on grenades? 8/10 grenades my soldiers throw end up exploding under their noses. Only triple miss at 95% chance irritates me more than this. Is there a mod for this or anything?

I know. In the military during grenade training, if you failed to throw a grenade a set distance during dummy practice, you got your helmet chalked "CW." It meant close to wall, though the rest of us joked that it meant you threw with a chicken wing. Oh how I wish I could chalk up some of my own soldier's helmets.

I'm not sure the problem is accuracy so much as grenades getting blocked by cover/scattering towards a full cover prop and getting blocked. At least, I can't think of any instance where I've had a clear throw where a grenade has landed at my soldier's feet.

In any case, in terms of modding, it doesn't appear so. I had a look at this the other day: the accuracy modifier for grenades does nothing, so all that counts is your soldiers raw STR score. (It's possible there's a global value somewhere I've missed, though.)

The trick is to stand one or more tiles back from the cover you're trying to toss the grenade over. I know that sounds weird, but the grenade mechanics seem to only understand one throwing arc i.e. it doesn't realize that you can raise your arc to clear closer objects (thereby decreasing your max. throwing range.) Right now, even a half height object can stop your throw. Maybe this will get fixed in a patch at some point.

Mine never land at my feet, they dont always hit where I point, but never do they get blocked by nearby cover and blow up at my feet.

This issue is the single reason I don't do Ironman playthroughs.

Well damn, you need to learn to throw then and start ironman, there are so many more issues you need to discover. :D

Yeah i stopped using all grenades beside smoke because of this. If there is no tottaly clear path between my soldier and its grenade aim, 95 % of the time the grenade gets stopped by some obstacles, that imho should never block it. If i cant lob grenades over walls/obstacles i dont really see the need to carry them at all.

In any case, in terms of modding, it doesn't appear so. I had a look at this the other day: the accuracy modifier for grenades does nothing, so all that counts is your soldiers raw STR score. (It's possible there's a global value somewhere I've missed, though.)

Are you certain about that? Ignoring out right blocked grenades, I have had grenades land within 1-2 tiles of where it should have landed. Sometimes even further than I normally am allowed to throw. It's made me barely miss flashbangs before, and happens all the time with flares.

I think accuracy has an effect, but it's on just where the grenade lands compared to where it should land. However the biggest issue is seeing which props are actually blocking the shot, and that's the easiest to notice.

In the test I did I set a frag grenade to 1% accuracy. In game, the UI reported a 57% chance to hit (the same value as the soldier's STR score) and when I tried throwing it, it landed dead on-target. Repeated observations would be better (and looking at the source code better still!), but this was enough to convince me that the accuracy modifier for grenades doesn't have any effect (intentional or otherwise).

I raised accuracy on grenades in my game from 30 (or 40) up to 100. This basically means it uses the soldier's accuracy rating to determine where the grenade lands (and they now reliably throw where I want them to.. unless I have a rookie with 50 accuracy throw one, then it's a gamble).

I did this for alien grenades too though, to keep it fair heh.