(New version) XNT Into Darkness V5.2 - "PlatinumDragon" (DISCUSSION TREAD)

Sentelin

Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects

Been away for a few days come back to find some exciting stuff happening! Not just 5.3 but hints at v6! This just keeps getting better.

I'm curious if there's been any further thought on ways to develop the RPG aspect of the game vis-a-vis soldiers? It seems like you're taking a macro approach to roleplaying (which research paths you take etc) but it would be awesome if there was still some way to codify differences in the soldiers themselves - but it seems like this is a problem inherent with the basic game design.

Here's a crazy thought I had, and I have no idea if it's possible. Could the stats system be expanded from a 1-100 system to a 1-1000 system? Or are the formulas for the way stats work hardcoded? For example, if you could get soldiers recruited with 400-700 accuracy, and stats progressed at a rate of 10-20 per mission, you could REALLY differentiate between who was you sniper vs a rookie etc. This might just be a pipe dream though =/

By the way are you guys including the strings.xml changes into 5.3?

Oh cmon 1 point of diffrence is bearly visible and u want 0.1 precision? In Fallout series u had 0-10 and it was great RPG.

Fallout also had WAY more customization than this game and far fewer characters lol. Plus accuracy was not something every character needed. It's a really bad comparison my friend.

And yes, I was asking if it was possibly to scale up the stat system so that what 1 accuracy grants now would be equal to 10 accuracy, so that you could have a much wider range of starting attributes and stat increases allowing for more diversity in endgame soldiers. As it is now they are completely interchangeable because it's fairly easy to hit the stat cap, especially with the plethora of missions in this mod. Maybe it's a bad idea, and I don't know if it's possible to implement, but do you disagree that it would be awesome to have more differentiation between soldiers?

For example, if you could get soldiers recruited with 400-700 accuracy, and stats progressed at a rate of 10-20 per mission, you could REALLY differentiate between who was you sniper vs a rookie etc. This might just be a pipe dream though =/
As it is now they are completely interchangeable because it's fairly easy to hit the stat cap, especially with the plethora of missions in this mod

So wait... your problem is that you don't want to have 100 points stats clone soldiers late game?

and you want to achieve that by having 1000 points stat clones?

a 1000 points scale would look rly unaesthetic and clunky to me.

I agree a 1000 point scale looks terrible, but function over form. I just didn't have any better ideas. I just find it a failure of the original design that stats start at ~50 and go up to ~100, and I was spitballing an idea that might serve to stretch out the deveopment of stat clones. I genuinely can't think of any other way to have differentiation between soldiers, short of just making it way harder to gain stat points (which raises a whole new slew of issues).

- individual soldier's hidden max stat potential

- individual soldier's hidden stat increase rate

- non-linear stat progression (threshold that would make for example easy to raise accuracy from 45 to 46, but very hard to go from 91 to 92)

Those are some ideas that could solve the issue, but those kind of changes aren't really supported by the game engine, perhaps the last one would be the easiest to implement, but still it's something that would require hard codding. Solver deals with hard-coding. Go ask Solver in his Community Edition thread. Make a difference :P

I am going to lock this thread now.

New version of mod v 5.3 is up and soon there will be discussion thread for,so please don't post comments in our main thread

Download link and main thread:http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11449-X1-08-X-CE-0-25HF-XNT-Into-Darkness-Mod-V5-3-The-Firebat

Discussion Tread:http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11450-%28Mod-Update%29-XNT-Into-Darkness-V5-3-The-Firebat-%28DISCUSSION-TREAD%29

Edited by Sentelin