Alien Air superiority?

Ok, so I send my planes out to down some UFO.

I get engaged by an air superiority mission.

Why is it that I can just go into manual combat, avoid the fighters, and then down the UFO I wanted to kill anyway? While the fighters ignore me :-) Shouldn't the air superiority force a fight on you to protect the larger UFOs?

They used to, but then you could never escape them and they'd basically just stun-lock your planes by endlessly engaging them in combat until you ran out of fuel. It was a bit lame.

Perhaps fighters could do with a speed buff though.

They used to, but then you could never escape them and they'd basically just stun-lock your planes by endlessly engaging them in combat until you ran out of fuel. It was a bit lame.

Perhaps fighters could do with a speed buff though.

Oh god that thing sucked. But I kinda agree that fighters are kinda underwhelming at the moment. One on one they're no match for a condor, I just farm them for alloys. Are they supposed to be intercepting the dropship or something?

And when they aren't after your interceptors, they'll quite happily shoot down regional military and civilian aircraft. Military aircraft cause a small hit, but if UFO interceptors shoot down an airliner, you'll take a MASSIVE relations hit.