Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tweaking ballistic weapons in build v12 and onward.

I suppose the carbine would also have a better reaction modifier due to its smaller size, that would help settle it in a role.
    Compared to the assault it would be less damage, faster firing, shorter range, more chance of reaction fire?
    Good back up weapon for following your shield/pistol breacher in.

Kind of off topic though I guess as the thread is about ballistic weapons.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

Well, it's something to think about, anyway. Did anyone notice the frag rocket has a radius of 1? Not really a frag rocket, is it? I changed it up to 3.1, same as the incendiary and I gotta say, it's not too shabby. If none of my rocket guys misses with it, the spash damage is usually wide enough to catch the alien he was shooting at. I think it's a pity supression is based on the launcher, because this is a case where the ammo (rockets) should dictate how suppressive the weapon is. (As you said back in one of the suppression threads. I forget which one).

Yeah the rocket launcher is one of the glaring problems with the target based suppression as opposed to impact (and ammo) based.
    Stun, nerve gas, or smoke rockets will have exactly the same suppression radius and effect as a huge explosive warhead.
    Modders won't be able to work on ammo types with different suppression effects either.
    I am also really concerned that flashbang grenades will affect the area you aim them at and not the area they land in.

Not going to get started here though

Do shotguns really need tweaking? Cheap shots, high damage, nice mitigation - good against noncoms, guards and even soliders. The only problem is that they are very close range, which is all fine and dandy when you have the drop on an alien, but at the range a shotgun needs to be to hit successfully, if they can get a reaction shot off your squaddie is a dead man.

I wouldn't bother doing much with the shotgun personally.
    As long as they are longer range and higher damage than the pistol but shorter range than the assault they are pretty much right.
    The reaction modifier could also sit between the two as well to fit the same sort of role the carbine will fill later.
    They may need a tweak if you have altered the other weapons significantly though to stay in the right sort of place.

I think of them as a breaching support or room clearing weapon.
    They don't need a long range for those roles as you will be up close most of the time anyway.
    Either use them to cover doorways with the extra reaction bonus or follow in the breachers to give fire support with their damage advantage over the shield/pistol users who have soaked up any reaction fire.

There;s the thing. The pistol's range is 10, the shotgun's is 8! I think that should be boosted to 13, as the rifle's range is 18.

That is my personal view of the shotgun, not necessarily what Chris had in mind.
    It looks like he was going for limited range to offset the high damage.

You could actually keep them to the same range as the pistol and still fill the role I see them in.
    They are more damaging, slower to get onto target (so more AP to aim and less reaction bonus) and need both hands to operate.
    They don't really overlap on anything so the range wouldn't need to be used to differentiate them.

I think the shotguns are about right at the moment. Lethal close up, terrible further out.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt