Ground Combat Briefing Screens... Where have they gone?

So out of curiosity, I decided to browse the ol' Xenonauts IndieDB page and I noticed that these:

http://media.indiedb.com/cache/images/games/1/13/12696/thumb_620x2000/combat_briefing.jpg

http://media.indiedb.com/cache/images/games/1/13/12696/thumb_620x2000/missionvictory.jpg

I have never seen these in the latest version of the game and I'm really disappointed that these aren't in the vanilla game. They make it feel so much like the original X-Com.

So my question is why were they removed?

I think it was because they were unnecessary after the first time you'd seen them (which is how the current system works), so spamming them before every mission just got in the way.

That said, I miss them too. It was for me a nice transition into the ground combat mission and if I knew how I'd gladly mod them back in.

I think it was because they were unnecessary after the first time you'd seen them (which is how the current system works), so spamming them before every mission just got in the way.

That said, I miss them too. It was for me a nice transition into the ground combat mission and if I knew how I'd gladly mod them back in.

I concur, I always thought the sudden transfer from the geoscape to GC was a bit... rushed. I always thought that there had to be a briefing or something to match that X-Com feel

It also had the added benefit of hiding the default facing of troops before the game turned them to their proper facing and was ready to play.

EDIT: Yeah, I've totally convinced myself to see if I can find a way to mod this, now. As if I don't have enough things I want to do!

That is useful, yes.

Hmm, this task would be a lot easier, actually, if someone had an old copy of the game as it might be possible to simply steal the old LUA script. If anyone has a copy of beta 21 or previous, would they mind uploading the file (I don't know which it is off the top of my head; I'll do some investigation if I have time later)?

That is useful, yes.

Hmm, this task would be a lot easier, actually, if someone had an old copy of the game as it might be possible to simply steal the old LUA script. If anyone has a copy of beta 21 or previous, would they mind uploading the file (I don't know which it is off the top of my head; I'll do some investigation if I have time later)?

Would the legacy build on steam work?

Hmm, if it actually still works, yes it would. Good idea.

EDIT: That said, if anyone already has an old copy that would be better, since it will avoid me having to spend many hours downloading the old build.

Edited by kabill