Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soapmode Maps

Soapmode Maps

After playing around with the map editors a while, I've a couple of simple offerings that will hopefully be of some use:

Submaps

Orchard Much like the one in the original XCOM game. Size (10x10).

smorchard.jpg
    Submap Data (Preferred Folder Name: "SMOrchard")
    SMOrchard XML

Farm Storage Shed A single storey concrete and corrugated iron storehouse for fertilizer or diesel. Size (10x10).

smfarmstorage.jpg
    Submap Data (Preferred Folder Name: "SMFarmstorage")
    SMFarmstorage XML

SMGrassfield20x20.jpg
    Grass Field A basic, large grass field for use with constructing larger farm maps. Size (20x20).
    Submap Data (Preferred Folder Name: "SMGrassfield20x20")
    SMGrassfield20x20 XML
    Last edited by soapmode; 02-14-2012 at 16:55.

Those look great! I hope they get put into the game. If not, I guess I just learn how to add this stuff.

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    nice! =]

the blue half fuel tank looks a little weird though
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens

It's supposed to be an above ground diesel tank that's flush with the wall, though I guess if you know the texture map has another half it could look a little weird. I'll see if there's a better replacement.

I kinda liked it as it is. and I'm glad to see the barrels inside isnt just arranged to look pretty but looks like it's been thought through from a tactical point of view.

What kind of cover does those trees provide? Are those trees placed in the center of a tile or on the edge of a tile? And how easy do they break?

Captain
    Did you just take existing sprites to make these? Would like to play around with the map editor but just don't even know where to begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    What kind of cover does those trees provide? Are those trees placed in the center of a tile or on the edge of a tile? And how easy do they break?
    Good questions, I'll check the spectre settings in the submap editor and get back to you. The trees are in the centre, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Belmakor View Post
    Did you just take existing sprites to make these? Would like to play around with the map editor but just don't even know where to begin!
    Yeah, these were made with the premade spectres in the assets/tiles/ dir of the Xenonauts install. Just read the guide to mapping that's stickied in this forum, it's pretty simple. The submap editor is a tad fussy though and requires a bit of practice.
    Last edited by soapmode; 02-13-2012 at 02:19.

Nice to see some people playing around with the editor! Those tree tiles won't make it into the final game though - they're a relic from the original Farm tileset and don't really work very well from a game mechanics point of view. Nor is the painting style on them consistent with our new tiles.

I might see if we can model up a few trees that fit the current tile dimensions a bit better though. Having an orchard would be nice, even if only for nostalgia purposes.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Chris is it possible to place any objects (such as Trees) in the corner of a tile? So that they are effectivly placed in the intersection rather then occupying a tile. They would be harder to use as cover for certain angles and wouldnt obstruct pathing as much.
    IS that possible already?

It's possible to alter the object's place on the tile by changing the pivot settings, so those trees could easily be set up to sit on the corner or edge of a tile. If there's a better tree texture in the next update I'll definitely update the map. I like the nostalgia value as well, but I also recall the orchard submap being one of the more tense tiles to explore, as the trees left a lot of room to hide.
    Last edited by soapmode; 02-13-2012 at 13:48.