[Feature Request] Improved ammo gui, and XML.

Hello everyone, Walrus here, making his big modding related feature request.

A small number of you may know me as the small time weapon-modder with a tremendous ego, and apatite, who has hit an impasse due to lack of features (As many in the future may hit as well.)

Standard pattern weapons have fairly basic features to them.

-They can support multiple ammo types, but the GUI will not display this, and there is no clean way to smuggle more ammo in. (Despite the fact that alternate ammo's can be dragged into the gun, however, reaching through the receiver to do so is inadvisable, and I am not responsible for any loss of limb doing so, or attempting to do so.)

- Most of the traits are the guns traits, meaning that having multiple ammo's is fairly limited in its usefulness for standard weaponry.

I am here to ask for what little I would like to see regarding this, as I see a lot of potential here, and I hope many of you guys do to.

(This may seem like a compilation of a few other requests, but I am also trying to trim ideas down to keep it (Hopefully) manageable level.)

1. Give the ammo button in ground combat, and the barracks a right click to open (Like the grenades have,) to display additional ammo types, as well as reflecting changes to Weapons.xml to support having several ammunition types on a single weapon (With the same ammo button functionality as ground combat.)

2. Move clip-size to the magazine in Weapons_GC.xml. Every other trait can stay on the weapon (Range would be nice to have on ammo, but it isn't necessary... Pellet count would make many fans gasp in glee, but once again, this isn't totally necessary.)

The only reason needed is that it would allow for much greater diversity with weapons, loadouts, and logistics in mods.

Now.

On the timeframe I would like this request to be considered.

As soon as you are comfortable working on this, but hopefully before the last patch.

I would love to have this by the full release, as the wave of modders that would come around that time would likely love to have this as well.

However long it takes, I understand.

This is what I would like to see, so I can make the best content for your game that I possibly can, and I am aware that my interests may conflict with yours: Finishing the game.

All I ask is you remember this, this lone, puppy eyed modder, staring at you to do the features that he needs to survive in the jungle he unwittedly jumped into before he, or the jungle, were ready for what was about to transpire.

Him getting mauled, and savagely, screaming "If only I had more then one ammo! I would be the eater!" but never dieing, waiting for the day that he too, can be the eater.

He who cheers for you, and hopes that you cheer for him as well.

Edit: Recoil being a function of ammo would be GREAT as well.

Range, Recoil, and clipsize. Oh man would that be glorious.

Edited by WalrusJones

I second the motion.

A list of things that I would like to see associated with ammo (and I'm fairly sure that there are probably a number of these already assigned to ammo and not to the weapon itself):

Bullet Count

Accuracy

Armor Mitigation

Damage (of all types)

Suppression (maybe tracers would be more intimidating than normal "invisible" bullets?)

And anything else that makes sense that I don't know about. I'm not a modder (yet ;)) so I don't know all of the variables, but if it's not too much hassle (and it probably is quite a bit, unfortunately) making a wide variety of variables for the ammo would be awesome, and pretty much necessary for multiple ammo types to be as widely diverse and individual as they should be.

But please, really consider this, and consider that modders will love you for it for years to come. :)

Gizmo: On some clarification:

Armor mitigation, and all damage are in the bullets XML, a magazine can have an entry for every weapon that loads it (Allowing rounds to have different stats in different weapons.) As are the bullet tracers.

Suppression is actually a attribute of EVERY individual attack of the weapon, and thus, translating it to the magazines would be problematic. (Unless we made the only attributes belonging to the weapon weight, it would be too hard to do in a way that isn't inflexible, or convoluted...)

I would like to see some of the things you want stacked on, however I made my suggestion over what would be least problematic to adapt to... And hopefully, less problematic to change, as well.

Edited by WalrusJones

Alright, I agree, it could be problematic, but ideally (I think) only the weapon weight would be tied to the weapon itself. I mean, the bullets are the ones doing the actual stuff, right? Changing the round in the weapon could/would change all of the factors except weapon weight, so putting all of the variables in the ammo makes sense, no?

Although, again I agree, it could be problematic and too much of a hassle for the devs to switch around all of the attributes.

Though it would be worth it, in the long run, I'd say.

Did you have a look at my old thread?

I suggested a bunch of changes to the layout of weapons and ammunition stats, mainly for modders to be able to use.

Have a look and see what you think.

Incidentally Chris did say he was willing to move the clip size over to the actual ammunition in that thread.

Hey, do you think it would be beneficial to make a new thread, compiling all of the relevant info from the previous thread?

Also, I read that you might work on fixing it yourself, as Chris has more important things to do. Has anything happened there? Or has life continued to be busy?

Also, how difficult would it be to switch everything around? If I had an example, and was instructed exactly what to do, I could do all the grunt work. I've got a fair amount of free time most days.

I moved all of the requested info to the places suggested in the thread and sent it to Chris in April.

Not heard anything else about it.

I know a lot of the ideas were a little more complicated and also less likely to happen but I was curious to know if the ideas were in line with what you thought were useful, feedback is always good ;)

Some would be useful.

Bursting working like single-fire is something I very much do want, but I can understand it if just isn't practical right now (I have even tried to workaround this.)

However, I personally feel that it is a little excessive in how drastic its structure alterations are, I could see it being more reasonable if it expanded on existing systems.