Quantum labs / nanotech workshop effects

Solver

Could someone please help me out and verify things on their end? I suspect that quantum labs and nanotech workshops do nothing, that is, do not increase any research and manufacture efficiency. It would be of great help if someone can run a test.

Both upgraded buildings do have an effect.

I unlocked the base upgrade research from the start of the game then researched the hunter scout car so I would have something to build and then saved the game.

I then researched the advanced interceptor and built a hunter scout car and noted the start and finish times of both.

I then loaded the save, researched the base upgrade and repeated the interceptor research and hunter scout car build.

Once I had those numbers I installed the community 0.24 version and repeated the test with the same results.

Research time for the advanced interceptor dropped from around 200 hours to around 130 hours.

Construction time of the Hunter scout car went from around 96 hours to around 65 hours.

Taking into account the rough numbers that means both seem to give roughly a 50% increase in speed.

Yeah, thanks everybody! I found also that it should after all work, just not the way I initially thought.

It's a bit silly that the buildings themselves do nothing, they just set a global modifier that speeds up research/production. So if you were theoretically to have a mix of normal Labs and Quantum Labs, it would be the same as all-Quantum.

One of those things that was put in to serve a single purpose without considering how it could have been done a touch differently to allow a wider application.

Like my pet peeve the weapon fire modes!

I guess you would need to rewrite how the rooms themselves work to get this to do what you wanted it to?

@Solver: Not necessarily.

Assuming you can mod the lab/workshop space provided by individual buildings, I'm not sure it's necessary to be able to apply a modifier to specific groups of scientists/engineers. If nothing else, it seems like it would be quite complex to set up a system where, say, some buildings give a +25% modifier to their staff, others give a +50% bonus, and so on, because you'd have to set up a system for the computer to tell now many scientists are being given the bonus.

For that reason, I'd be inclined to argue that it would be best simply to leave the base upgrade bonus as a modifier which, if you have at least one building with it flagged, is applied (although being able to mod the modifier and have upgrades to it would be good). That way, you use your basic labs/workshops (or advanced ones with more space/whatever) for housing staff, and then you can build an additional building (Alloy Foundry, Supercomputer System, whatever) that applies a % modifier to the efficiency of all relevant staff in the base.

That, to me, has plenty of mod potential while keeping the code pretty simple.

EDIT: Kind of off topic, but what's the chance you'd be able to put in building prerequisites for manufacturing projects?

Edited by kabill

I already modified the base upgrade to be a more generic combination of "upgrade all labs to quantum labs" and "upgrade all workshops to nanotech workshops". I can keep the global modifier on those two buildings and then they will act as they always have.

But what if I wanted to create a distinct lab building that you build, with money, not replacing anything else, but for that building to give some kind of research bonus? Yeah, sure, I can specify the lab space for each building individually now, but a lab that holds 100 scientists isn't much of a bonus since you still have to hire those scientists. Even without giving a bonus to specific scientists, it would be better for it to at least be a bonus that applies to a particular base, not globally.

EDIT for your edit: building prerequisites for manufacturing projects, I don't really see why not. With the usual caveat that GUI is your problem :P

Nope, sadly not. Which is why my initial confusion about the buildings not working. Because actually the buildings do not - a quantum laboratory does nothing different from a normal lab. It's just that the base upgrade sets a global flag that speeds research up by 50%, and another flag for manufacturing. This should be redone eventually, but for now I need to replicate this functionality, and I really want to do it through buildings, not some odd flags. Might as well settle for making the building toggle that flag.

I'm not sure what's wrong with what you suggested, but perhaps I misunderstood what you were doing.

To maintain existing functionality, I'd add in a variable which attaches the research/production bonus to a particular building (and applies only to that base). I'd then set the lab/workshop to auto-upgrade on the base-upgrade tech.

That way, you've allowed modders to set any building they want as a research/production efficiency increaser, and maintained to auto-buff you get in vanilla. Obviously, the bonus you get should be moddable too, but I think that's already the case in gameconfig IIRC.

A better solution in terms of modding would be to attach the actual modifier to the building instead. Depending on how you wanted to code it, you could have a base only count one (the largest) bonus given by a building, or you could have them stack (probably by adding rather than multiplying).

That makes the system even more moddable, as you can have upgrades to the efficiency-improving buildings as well (so you could have, say, an "alenium reactor" which improves production speed by 50%, but later have that upgrade into a "fusion reactor" for a 100% bonus instead).

(Mmm, actually, it would have to be the take-highest version otherwise it doesn't work with vanilla without some messing around/duplicating systems).

Went for a relatively-less sucky approach, where buildings can specify a research/manufacturing modifier that gets applied to the base. Eventually we have the option to extend it to additively stacking bonuses, but this implementation should suffice without being total crap.