(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V4.0 - "SilverDragon" (New Aliens, Weapons and More!)

Well I started campaign from scratch so it will take time to get to new content you add.If you have save file you can PM or post here and I will gladly give you feedback tomorrow probably.And what you added sounds awesome but you know it's not same on paper and in practice :)

Well I started campaign from scratch so it will take time to get to new content you add.If you have save file you can PM or post here and I will gladly give you feedback tomorrow probably.And what you added sounds awesome but you know it's not same on paper and in practice :)

Totally true, for advanced weapons I will provide save games. Thats actually good idea

SMALL FIX NO.30

keeper.jpg

I identify a small problem with the Keeper TSR-V1 animation, I update a small fix for this.

This FixPatch include the next changes:

- Alien Heavy Plasma Rifle now shot 2 pellets per shot at advanced Tiers.

- Random damage increased to 32%

- Alien Plasma Heavy Cannon accuracy reduced in 23% and damage balanced to 40 incendiary damage.

DONWLOAD FIXPATCH V4.21

FixPatch V4.2

* Changes are included in CORE download

Notes:

In one hours I'll provide saves for all Tiers 2-/Tier 2+/ Tier3- and Tie3+ for you to test the new weapons.

Remember that in this mod is trully important in Tier2+/Tier3 mix damage type or identify the enemy first, for example:

- If you Face Sebillians is better use Plasmas instead of MAGs of Advanced Ballistics. The Peace Keeper is a Plasma weapon intended to fill a tactical ballance for this.

- If you deal Caesans energy weapons are useless, if you arent develop MAG weapons at that point could be a great problem, Warhawk II is intented to fill this tactical gap.

- Caesans are resistant to Stun Batons and EMP Grenades, if you want to capture one of them try use stun ballistics and chemical damage, Sebillians at the contrary are susceptible to EMP and Stun batons.

Small question: Did you find vanilla crashes with this mod?

Thanks for playing!

keeper.jpg

keeper.jpg.f105f1a0ae3d1bf58eeab33a8902c

Edited by TacticalDragon

Ready what ? You mean save file ?

Honestly unless you had tried to play this mod at least once,I would advice you to try that save file but if you didn't start game from start you need to get used to a lot things and I mean it.It's very different game with this mod from vanilla.

Edited by Sentelin

When it will be ready?

If you mean the mod in general....well it is ready in a way. It's fully playable.

New content will be added periodically (that is every day, every week, every month..who knows? :D)

------------------

I just played my first game since xnt 3.8... (and I put on that music I found recently)

and it was probably the closest thing to the sense of uncertainty and dread I experienced since x-com.

Now to start. I am using a 10 men Charlie variant for my games, its balanced by the fact that I set the experience needed to gain ranks by x2 or x3 depending on rank. (A bit stronger early game and no team of captains midgame.... I don't even know how late game looks like).

But even with those 10 men I barely made it through alive in the first mission. I didn't have much luck with it ... no aliens till day 18 .... i autoresolved (a 100% chance) with two concords..and true enough they shot the target (and were both shot down aswell). And the first mission a big scout. At night.

Admitedlly, I didn't equip my new recruits with nades. Big mistake. But I had 5 rifleman, 3 heavy , 1 shield and 1 shotgun. I landed in a village and saw a civilian in a nearby hut. So i decided to block his exits (It's for your own safety, sir) with 5 men, I left one by the ship and moved the rest exploring. The explorers got to the enemy ship and a skirmish began. The aliens were sitting in their ship. Opening the door shooting at me (whilst I didn't have the vision cos of night time) and Chris'es patent almost killed me - CLOSING UFO DOORS. I couldn't throw in a torch cos they were all sitting and shooting from somewhere deep inside the ship and the bugger who was openning the door wasn't even going to shoot me (and get visible). It was a damn psychic who was openning the door every turn and staying hidden at the same time.

Now I remember this tactic from when I played vanilla beta some time ago. Where I would open the ufo throw in nades and burst'em and then casually close the door. Now it was exactly the same thing. But they were the one doing it to me. I'm still kind of sure the psychic openning the door and staying inside was kind of an accident in the code. But if it isn't it's a damn good ai script. At least for night missions. I finally overpowered them by using heavy machineguns, nades and my shotgun..But one of my men ended up with 1 hp (lucky bastard :D) and another one dead. I won this front only because the enemy had nothing else than pistols.

But back at the hut... A reaper snuck back around the ship and was going for the guy guarding it. He shoot and missed. So all of my men run out of the hut to aid him...It wasnt enough and the bug was right in front of me...oh well one man dead? Nope. Fortunatelly, it died out of wounds. That was a relief. Not for long though.

My phalanx positioned men ( I always form a phalanx when I see reapers) got a volley from that damn vortex thing, out of nowhere. 3 men down. Rest retreating to the ship...... Then the reaper nation attacked...

Those damn things are now completely terrifing (at least in early night missions)! In 3.8 they kind of run at you and past you (I presume to hide) and then attack you in the next turn.

1) Now they don't run in front of you but try to backstab you

2) They won't wait for the 2nd turn...If they see the possiblity they just run behind you and start attacking right away.

Those are some damn well written AI scripts TD, congrats.

Basically the mission ended with 2 of my men alive and injured, 6 unconcious (vortex has a damn high range) and two dead. I guess it's time to prepare for mission 2. So far everything looks thrilling.

-----

damn it.. Cpl Earl Teacup Flaming was among the dead. That guy looked like a mixture of Churchill and a pug (so very much the same thing). And he was British. Damn you aliens.

Edited by Theon Greyjoy

Tell me about it ... wait until you run on Androids..... they are very nasty,big bastards,with even bigger guns and it's more like they are linked on ****** satellite than using their eyes to fire that god damn stupid sticks they hold in their hands (literally you don't know what hit you if you play night mission and you are not under full cover).However this was in build 4.0 now I am waiting for TD to release those damn save files to try all those stuff I missed and have yet to try so I could plan my strategy better this time.That said i haven't advanced further than second mission playing 4.2.

About aliens opening doors and shooting at you and door closing at then of turn (stupid auto-close feature),that's what every race expect melee aliens now does.I was screwed like that by two Androns who were shooting at my soldiers until I outnumbered them and in that instant they retreat inside and tried to ambush me (luckily Androns are not able to use cover .... or it would turn in blood bath)

Edited by Sentelin

Those are some damn well written AI scripts TD, congrats.

Basically the mission ended with 2 of my men alive and injured, 6 unconcious (vortex has a damn high range) and two dead. I guess it's time to prepare for mission 2. So far everything looks thrilling.

Thank you soo much for testing!

The AI scripts is one of the complex work on XNT:ITD, I build many scripts with the help of Sentelin, Selgald and Radek in the past, their feedback help me to polish this series of complex Behavior.

In Elite soldiers the things turn more dark, their specialized AI drive player to a complex tactic environment and despair.

In general AI work in groups, they select one of them to open the gate and search for enemies nearby the other one defend the ship trying to abduct xenonauts or suppressing.

When you refer to Reapers did you mean the Gargols? The Gargol unit has a unique AI script that call allies for help when they try to protect and overwhelm the players surrounding and attacking.

The vortex is a dangerous push for the players, with this weapon I bring a new status for Xenonauts Crews, having unconsciousness soldiers to the ground. Yes your loosing combat power but this soldiers is not killed only disable for combat. In some missions I take 2 or 3 operatives in the ground, thing that limit my strategy and explosive coverage. This situation push the player to plan new strategies. Yes Vortex is OP but their are unable to kill Xenonauts.

Thank you so much for testing! :D

In question of enemies I include some encounters with Harridans.

Oh god, I hope TD nerfed their eyesight. Androns in terror missions are the most annoying thin ever. Hopefuly I will manage to get some weapons before they start showing up.

... I got 8 research projects from my 1 mission. Lol.

I think Ill now start naming my soldiers after you guys, at least I will get a chuckle out of their deaths. If anybody wants to join my brave men, give me a first/last name and optionally a nick.

I'll give you feedback on how they are doing.

Edit.

When you refer to Reapers did you mean the Gargols?

I mean the purple things which are a rip-off of from the Alien franchise with Sigourney Weaver.

Edited by Theon Greyjoy

Tell me about it ... wait until you run on Androids..... they are very nasty,big bastards,with even bigger guns and it's more like they are linked on ****** satellite than using their eyes to fire that god damn stupid sticks they hold in their hands (literally you don't know what hit you if you play night mission and you are not under full cover).However this was in build 4.0 now I am waiting for TD to release those damn save files to try all those stuff I missed and have yet to try so I could plan my strategy better this time.That said i haven't advanced further than second mission playing 4.2.

About aliens opening doors and shooting at you and door closing at then of turn (stupid auto-close feature),that's what every race expect melee aliens now does.I was screwed like that by two Androns who were shooting at my soldiers until I outnumbered them and in that instant they retreat inside and tried to ambush me (luckily Androns are not able to use cover .... or it would turn in blood bath)

I have 2 saves prepared and ready to upload.

The Androns is other thing, they have some special rules, they have strong teamwork they suppress and advance, they see you but don't shoot at first sight they look for the better place. Yes.. is a nightmare specially if you face them with ballistics, they force you to use explosives.

TIER 3- Geospace / Near to game over

Plasma Tester

Maybe I don't put too much effort because I need to make long run to test.

Thanks for testing!

Edited by TacticalDragon

The Androns is other thing, they have some special rules, they have strong teamwork they suppress and advance, they see you but don't shoot at first sight they look for the better place

True,unless you engage them first in that case they return fire and don't run.Also if you don't have alenium explosives researched you are in deep ****.I had researched all Advanced Ballistic weapon when I encounter them for the first time (Enforcer,Warhawk,Zypher).

-While Zypher is very effective way to get rid of them with burst fire ( it does a lot of damage) you need to get close to them,like you are carrying shotgun in order to make burst fire effective otherwise you can do better with aimed shoots from the far than trying to kill them with burst fire (I am referring to Androns,otherwise Zypher burst fire is deadly against Sebillians and Ceaseans even from a far).

-Enforcer is rather useless against all armored targets unless they are tiles or two away from you in that case it's more deadlier than shotgun or Zypher.

-And Warhawk ... well you need soldier with good aim and strenght status if you want to use full potentional of it however it proved him self rather useless vs Androns.

Oh and one more thing I forgot to mention.. Sniper Rifles are the most effective ballistic weapon against Androns (two shoots from Sniper rifle and they are gone)

Edit:This is all my experience from 4.0 and not from 4.2

Edited by Sentelin

Oh god, I hope TD nerfed their eyesight. Androns in terror missions are the most annoying thin ever. Hopefuly I will manage to get some weapons before they start showing up[/b]

Edit. I mean the purple things which are a rip-off of from the Alien franchise with Sigourney Weaver.

Androns are a true danger but as Sentelin says Zephyr Assault Rifle is a good way to deal with. They have a wide range of optimal damage, when you'r at close range brust fire deal tons of damage and at long range the aimed shots and snapshots can make a huge difference.

True,unless you engage them first in that case they return fire and don't run.Also if you don't have alenium explosives researched you are in deep ****. Edit:This is all my experience from 4.0 and not from 4.2

This will be the same for V4.0 to V4.2. Actually Alenium powered explosives is a quick way to deal with, but you lost lot of artifacts. Androns has a peculiarity, they carry a wide range of equipment that can lead the player to powerful stuff, Like Warhawk II at midgame.

What about the Alien Spine Thrower?

Did you find any of them?

What about Apolo MXR2 performance?

Did you test it?

Quick Note: I repeat NEVER engage Androns or Harridans at night! even Base attack missions can be very difficult if your not prepared, try to intercept Medium UFOs if they are too close to base and avoid sentelin's experience.

Edited by TacticalDragon

]

Wait what ?

I bring 3 new weapons to the alien field

Alien Spine Thrower, Light Vortex Projector and Heavy Vortex Projector.

The Spine Thrower is unique for noncombatant is a light weapon.

I'm now testing a weird encounter for UFO landing full (I mean FULL) of Non combatant aliens with spine thrower. Something like Urban transport but.... the spine thrower can bypass Wolf Armor protection. In the test I get all my soldiers stunned by that $$#$%

xD

What about Apolo MXR2 performance

This is the max effective range you can get out of it (I still BARELY had the fuel to play out the encounter). I moved in hot on the enemy light scout and downed it with a missile. Flew back to base with 70% hp. The auto resolve settings I'm testing gave me 88% chance. Seems accurate.

Clipboard02.jpg

--------------------------

Pvt Josh Sentelin

Pvt Giovani TD di Panama

Prepare for your first mission. (Horrible death reports will soon follow :D)

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg.cc96dff9ff3c00ce3a99f312

Pvt Josh Sentelin

Pvt Giovani TD di Panama

Prepare for your first mission. (Horrible death reports will soon follow :D)

Sentelin your Josh Eales? o.O!

LOL Giovanni di Panama xD!

xD

Apollo looks and works great!

Is this viable with V1.02? Just asking because I've heard rumors of an ACM/TRM style mod for Xenonaughts recently so I came to check... and this is what I found.

Yes is viable for 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03.

Excuse me for asking but whats mean ACM/TRM?

Thanks for giving us your first post!

Note: Anyone test the new free music of the pack? Did you like it? Im planning add Soldiers sounds, is awesome xD

Edited by TacticalDragon

Yes is viable for 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03.

Excuse me for asking but whats mean ACM/TRM?

Thanks for giving us your first post!

ACM was a series of UFO Afterblank mods back in the day for the first two games, never knew what it stood for though. TRM is the Total Rebalanced Mod for UFO: Afterlight. Both add lots of guns and other equipment and expanded the research trees as well to include these new guns and equipment.