(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V3.4 - "RedDragon Version" (Include New Weapons)

OK now we are talking however,do you want this mod to be only ballistic weapons driven or do you plan adding some advance weaponry in future.

-Also out of curiosity,do you have plans for adding new aliens types now when you did excellent job with AI scripts (which i had pressure studying ).

-As for balance issues that previous builds had (etc. bleeding was very punishing),they fits now rather nicely and I don't have any complaints to add to my old list yet.

-What i notices is that starting soldiers got their stats buffed (your original squad from very beginning).Is that intentional or i got somehow lucky (etc. TU 80,Strength 73,Accuracy 72 ...... Bravery 15 ).?

-Weapons from previous build fit very well into game now (i had yet to discover how do they fit in new build),giving more roles to soldiers in your assault squad.I was concerned at the first about balance of the game but once i got to mid game those weapons got very handy.

Edited by Sentelin

OK now we are talking however,do you want this mod to be only ballistic weapons driven or do you plan adding some advance weaponry in future.

I'm glad you get interested in some of our work and enjoy the AI, is one of my hardest works in this mod.

All right in question of new weapons we want to create new weapons for all Tiers and all Types.

The main objective is make the game longer and the player enjoy more the UFO types and technology sub trees (Like Advanced Ballistics).

When you got enough time playing this mod you'll discover that Ground combats has hidden objectives or technological objectives. Advanced weapons is a good example, you need to research "Alien Plasma Pistol" to reach main objective for example Reach Laser Tech. I the way we create alternatives paths to player enjoy Advancement on each research.

Other true example is that Advanced Ballistic Tech Tree is more tricky that you though, let me explain why:

- To unlock ThunderBolt AZT300 you need knowledge about Heavy pistols and "Capture a particular Kind of Alien".

- To unlock WarHawk WR-H33, you need an alien component very unstable and not all initial UFO have it.

In order to develop more weapons we will separate each tier like this:

Tier 1- Basic Ballistics

Tier 1+ First Advanced Ballistics

Tier 2- All Advanced Ballistics

Tier 2+ Laser Weapons + Advanced Ballistics

Tier 3- Advanced Lasers + Advanced Ballistics

Tier 3+ Plasmas + Supplementary Older weapons

Tier 4- Advanced Plasmas

Tier 4+ MAG Weapons.

GOAL: Here is the KEY success of the strategy, this diversity of weapons let the player take is own way or path. Kirill one of our cooperator playtester say that he can reach Plasmas without producing a single Laser. Thats the point!!! The player choose!!! and I want that player can say "Hey I do not mess with that stupids ballistics weapons, I'l try to reach lasers and ignore the older ones, energy weapons is the future!!!" or other player could say "Laser weapons is complementary weapon, I'll try to keep on develop the most deeper advanced ballistics and later reach plasmas".

:)

-Also out of curiosity,do you have plans for adding new aliens types now when you did excellent job with AI scripts (which i had pressure studying )

YES! We want to introduce more AI scripts, new alien weapons, new alien ranks and powers. We have already 2x New alien weapons and 1x more script for alien behavior.

-As for balance issues that previous builds had (etc. bleeding was very punishing),they fits now rather nicely and I don't have any complaints to add to my old list yet.

Thanks! We study the bleeding system with the help or Radek and Victor_Tadeu, they give us good information to take this last system

-What i notices is that starting soldiers got their stats buffed (your original squad from very beginning).Is that intentional or i got somehow lucky (etc. TU 80,Strength 73,Accuracy 72 ...... Bravery 15 ).?

You got good and bad lucky, your soldier has superior stats but his bravery needs some work. The XNT Gameplay intents to have the 6 best soldiers of humankind at the start of the game. We'r analyzing the possibility of include unique kind of FACES and NAMES for this starting soldiers, something like CLP. KILMOROV "THE DUKE" or CLP. SMITH "EAGLE EYE" and the faces with scars or uniques traits.

-Weapons from previous build fit very well into game now (i had yet to discover how do they fit in new build),giving more roles to soldiers in your assault squad.I was concerned at the first about balance of the game but once i got to mid game those weapons got very handy.

Thats part of community work, play the mod and give us this information "Beginning Tactic", Level of difficulty and Comments about mission development.

Weapons that we design has lot of statistical work, non of this weapons will cause unbalance of any type in the game. Trust me.

You will remember my words when you have an Andron over you head and your soldier was crazy shooting Dual WarHawk WR-H33.... yes you can deal damage the killing machine, but is lightly damage, now is turn for this 3 killing machine to get you

Thank you for your post and keep in contact giving me your feedback about the game!!! :)

TacticalDragon

TacticalDragon, you are awesome! I really was not expecting such upgrade right now! I swear I wake up today thinking "well, time to ready some tutorials and mod new weapons in the game by myself"... but it's already done! I wasn't using shotgun anymore since they are useless against armoured opponents, but now I have a useful shotgun! And two more pistols, of course!

I only missing a new sniper rifle right now! Do we have to wait for a totally new version or could you make a quickly and small addon with it? Then all ballistic weapons will have a more useful version of it! :rolleyes:

I also was thinking about some submachineguns (two handed like a MP5 or a Bizon). Something who operates in the gap between assault rifle and shotguns. Something that have a reasonable capacity at medium ranges and can be better used to assault positions than the standard rifle and is lighter, good for recruits or rockteers. Just a wild idea, dont know if really needed. You know, some squad games have two type of assault players: the "shotgunner" and the "submachinegunner". Submachinegun generally are better 'cause I played very few games where the shotgun was properly balanced, but in Xenonauts it works great and is my favorite weapon to shot, so I dont think I would trade it off anyway.

By the way, I liking very much the balance of the new stuff. Despite shoutgun who became kinda useless (before this upgrade), all weapons fits well in the game without unbalancing it. They are better than the vanilla ones, but nothing something THAT better that make the early ones look like crap. I already use some old rifles for recruits and rocketeers since it's lighter a leave them weight to carry more stuff like a better armor or more rockets.

By the way, I saw you adjusted the stun stuff too! I was about to post something about them, that they are kinda weak. The stun baton is the less problematic, it's hard to stun aliens but I dont suppose it to be easy. The problem was the gas grenades... they seems useless. I was trying to capture some aliens with it but it dont seem that efficient. By the way the gas rockts looks weaker than the grenades (I think it should be the opposite). Still speaking about the gas... it's possible to make the gas have a chance to affect you or the aliens in every tile you walk over it plus affect again who begin the turn in it?

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

Hey, TacticalDragon, I noticed something odd in the new build. The Medipack seems to disappear from the equipment selection screen. My soldiers already equipped with it still got it, but it dont shows anymore in the equipment list so I cant equip it anymore. I will try to mess with the files from the old version and replace the part about the medkit in the new build with the old one to see if it works.

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

Hello Victor!

Thank you for your answer, we have a new weapons design and modeling 30 days ago, we first test it, rebalance and adjust.

Im glad that you like the balance in all this new elements. In near future aliens, humans and friendly AI will have well designed weapons like this.

I'll complement some of you comments right here!

I wasn't using shotgun anymore since they are useless against armoured opponents, but now I have a useful shotgun! And two more pistols, of course!

There it is! OK let me give you a tip, first remember that I redesign all the weapons of the game and each one has unique role and I calculate carefully and statistical ranges for each weapon with "Accuracy Ratio", "Damage Ratio", "Range" and "Rate of fire". Lets start with shotguns, because this weapon has a secret value in game:

1. Conventional shotgun has the primary use in modern world has a Urban enforcer weapon, most of the time people injured by this weapon don't result killed, its a weapon for disable opponent, cause suppression at close range and hit multiple targets in area.

2. In the game I traduce this utility with a simple mechanism, this weapon hit two types of armors, dealing kinetic direct damage and causing stun damage. Even if the opponent resist by armor the shotgun shells stun damage can bring the unit into the floor.

3. Following this path of ideas, and knowing that lot of research require capture aliens alive (Including Important Manufacture researches and weapons), this weapon has two characteristics: You can deal stun damage with flashbangs and then reduce enemies with shotgun. Thats a way to capture living aliens in early Tiers 1-.

The conventional shotgun is necessary in early Tiers for capturing IMPORTANT enemies (Hidden Tip: ThunderBolt AZT300 can be only researched if you learn how to use conventional shotguns, capturing a special type of alien to understand aliens, in this games Aliens has two types of defense, Inertial Barrier caused by Psionics and Equipped alien armors).

;)

I only missing a new sniper rifle right now! Do we have to wait for a totally new version or could you make a quickly and small addon with it? Then all ballistic weapons will have a more useful version of it! :rolleyes:

We have a advanced sniper in testing right now, for now is in development.

I also was thinking about some submachineguns (two handed like a MP5 or a Bizon). Something who operates in the gap between assault rifle and shotguns. Something that have a reasonable capacity at medium ranges and can be better used to assault positions than the standard rifle and is lighter, good for recruits or rockteers.

We have planned add new advanced energy weapons, Plasmas and Lasers will has two hidden advanced versions.

By the way, I liking very much the balance of the new stuff. Despite shoutgun who became kinda useless (before this upgrade), all weapons fits well in the game without unbalancing it. They are better than the vanilla ones, but nothing something THAT better that make the early ones look like crap. I already use some old rifles for recruits and rocketeers since it's lighter a leave them weight to carry more stuff like a better armor or more rockets.

Thank you, the balance between Lasers ad Ballistics relays in a important characteristic, Lasers are very accurate, efficient and powerful, even more than Advanced Ballistics. In other hand this weapons consume Alien Alloys, has low ammo capacity and some enemies has very powerfull armor against energy.

By the way, I saw you adjusted the stun stuff too! I was about to post something about them, that they are kinda weak. The stun baton is the less problematic, it's hard to stun aliens but I dont suppose it to be easy. The problem was the gas grenades... they seems useless. I was trying to capture some aliens with it but it dont seem that efficient. By the way the gas rockts looks weaker than the grenades (I think it should be the opposite). Still speaking about the gas... it's possible to make the gas have a chance to affect you or the aliens in every tile you walk over it plus affect again who begin the turn in it?

Yes Indeed!, I fix stun grenades but they are pretended to be used with Shotguns and batons to stun powerful enemies.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm completely open to review more weapons for the game, specially as you say MP5 and Bizon that fill different tactical roles in game.

Keep playing! Every feedback that we can take will be welcome.

Edited by TacticalDragon

Hey, TacticalDragon, I noticed something odd in the new build. The MedKit seems to disappear from the equipment selection screen. My soldiers already equipped with it still got it, but it dont shows anymore in the equipment list so I cant equip it anymore. I will try to mess with the files from the old version and replace the part about the medkit in the new build with the old one to see if it works.

I modify the tech tree of the game, the first research "Alien Invasion" will unlock manufacture of Medipacks in the Workshop (We have no tab for equipement, so we put it in armors).

Check you workshops.

The goal is provide a minor manufacture economy in the early game at Tier 1-. You can sell Medipacks, dont give too much profit but it will give you some money boost from start.

3. Following this path of ideas, and knowing that lot of research require capture aliens alive (Including Important Manufacture researches and weapons), this weapon has two characteristics: You can deal stun damage with flashbangs and then reduce enemies with shotgun. Thats a way to capture living aliens in early Tiers 1-.

Ok, cool! Didn't know that I can knockout enemies with the shotgun instead of just killing it! It's better! What confuses me is that the game dont tell you when a alien is killed or unconscious, but I think it's ok. The big problem with it is with my own soldiers... can they become unconscious 'cause of damage? When my soldiers colapses I never know if they are unconscious or dead, and all the time the mission ends that way it says they was killed in action.

I modify the tech tree of the game, the first research "Alien Invasion" will unlock manufacture of Medipacks in the Workshop (We have no tab for equipement, so we put it in armors).

Check you workshops.

The goal is provide a minor manufacture economy in the early game at Tier 1-. You can sell Medipacks, dont give too much profit but it will give you some money boost from start.

I TOTALLY support that idea! I even think the new weapons you are adding should be manufactured too like everthing you need to research. But I still having problem with the medipack... I have the Alien Invasion researched but the medipacks are not showing for production in any tab of the workshop.

I did a test starting a new game and it works exactly like you said. You research Alien Invasion and then you can produce medipacks. Maybe it's not save compatible?

Plus just to check. I already have the three weapons from the early build researched, but none of the new ones from 3.5 build. Do they need different researches or they are having the same problem from the medipack?

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

Is it planned to do the same with armours as with weapons (the tier 1+ ... .... thing)?

Modify armors are quiet hard but Korhang is working on an armor between Jackal and Wolf. Due to the lot of hard compilation of images is korhang suggest put the same jackal armor with different color, Its like "Human Alloys Reinforcement"

Modify armors are quiet hard but Korhang is working on an armor between Jackal and Wolf. Due to the lot of hard compilation of images is korhang suggest put the same jackal armor with different color, Its like "Human Alloys Reinforcement"

Whoah, good idea. Give that guy a donut! Just changing some colors to add new stuff is an easy and good way to bring more content and that is awesome!

TacticalDragon, I think the current build of the mod can have the medipack that way (after Alien Invasion), but can you make or point me a tutorial or anything about how can I make a hotfix for my saved game? Maybe editing a file where I make an item avaiable from the start instead of needing research may solve the problem for an ongoing game. This also should work for the new weapons that may suffer from the same problem of the medipack if they require a tech that I already had researched. Or if they dont need production, will they appear normally?

I already did a work around for me with the Medipack. I was trying to remove research requirement for it, but without any success, so I tried a different approach. My current research more close to be complete is Alenium Explosives, so I messed with the files to make medipacks appear with Alenium Explosives instead of Alien Invasion. It works! After Alenium Explosives was discovered I was able to produce medikits! For now it will work for me to keep playing the 3.5 build with my current save file. If the new weapons dont appear, I will do the same with them too.

Weeee! Back to the UFO bashing!!!... seriously, I need those UFOs... I'm bankrupt...

Plus, Tactical Dragon, wont the new weapons have similar bugs? What are the techs they require?

UPDATE: the hotfix do not seems to be working in the savegame. Still cant produce it neither it appear in the equipment screen. Maybe because I already have the tech of the enhanced medipack?

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

Did you research Sebillian Analysis?

EDIT: Looks like save files contain unlocked knowledge and items, for that reason game is unable to access items that apparently never be unlocked... Im trying to put new way to bypass this error and players can load old build's saves without losing items.

Edited by TacticalDragon

Did you research Sebillian Analysis?

EDIT: Looks like save files contain unlocked knowledge and items, for that reason game is unable to access items that apparently never be unlocked... Im trying to put new way to bypass this error and players can load old build's saves without losing items.

Yeah, I did... dang. But since now I know what tech trigger them, I will change it to anything else not researched yet so I can have those new weapons. I will do the same with the medipacks since they are not appearing.

I will also create thread in the Bug Report subforum. Maybe the devs can do something about it. Fixing this problem will greatly improve the game mod experience in the future.

Special request for all XNT: ITD Mod

- Start new games with the last version

- Plan an strategy and write it here with a name like older versions of this mod (Delta Wing, Armor Rush, etc...)

- Give us your opinions and experiences about Alien AI and New Weapons.

Sorry for the inconvenient about saved games... I'm not counting on it.

Thank you for your feedback!

HOTFIX UPDATE NO.13

Hello Everyone

I work hard to revert changes of the last update and add some cool features to the game to increase playability and diversification of the game in Tier 1- and Tier 1+. Sorry about the mistake with medipacks, my fault.

PATCH HOTFIX V3.4 VER 2

DOWLOAD HOTFIX*

* This hotfix is intended for players that have a current running build of XNT Into Darkness Mod. The main link at the start of this topic has the Pack already installed

V3.5 Hotfix 2

- Advanced Ballistics Strings and Research information has been partial complete.

- ADV Ballistics are exclusively to manufacture (Profitable too).

- LMG Zephyr Burst accuracy has been reduced by 3%.

- TechTree are updated and complete up to ThunderBolt AZT300.

- Both Medipacks reverted to Unlimited.

Thanks for your contributions, for now I'll work on Advanced Sniper, ESP Gun (Electro Shock Pulse) and the first Advanced Laser.

In this message is the HOTFIX Patch and in official link