Tactical Combat usability thoughts [v9]

SmilePic

Played new build and found some things that makes tactical combat uncomfortable.

1. Hard to tell whether I am selecting soldier or ordering soldier to move to the spot near the soldier I want to select. Especially in dropship.

2. Spent 30 seconds looking for alien hunter spotted in dark place. Maybe visible alien should be hinted with something?

3. Found no way to check how much AP weapon consumes. Other than targeting something. Maybe AP cost should be written at AP reserve buttons?

4. Found no way to shoot selected spot from sniper rifle or assult rifle. It always have to be wall, alien or some other target. Maybe this has point... Actually, I tried to target empty spot to see AP cost.

5. Clicking "end turn" with cursor in shoot mode makes it should at the beginning of the next turn. Made me almost destroy Hunter with a shot from sniper rifle. :)

I had the same problem when selecting soldiers. I think you're meant to favour the 'select next/previous soldier' buttons along with the soldier select buttons that run along the top of the UI (which are going to be more pronounced in a later build, apparently). Mind you, the previous/next soldier buttons seem bugged atm, and don't cycle through the squad correctly.

1. Hard to tell whether I am selecting soldier or ordering soldier to move to the spot near the soldier I want to select. Especially in dropship.

I Agree, but I think in the Alpha they are not worried about alot of the "Beauty" but the design. I think they may have plans to allow a "see through" option when you mouse over some terrain features. Well I have no Idea if they are, but I would like to see one.

2. Spent 30 seconds looking for alien hunter spotted in dark place. Maybe visible alien should be hinted with something?

This is something I Like actually, not being able to see more than a slight shape or shadow when you are not close enough to the target

3. Found no way to check how much AP weapon consumes. Other than targeting something. Maybe AP cost should be written at AP reserve buttons?

There are plans for this I believe - See some of the GUI Mock ups and plans here

4. Found no way to shoot selected spot from sniper rifle or assult rifle. It always have to be wall, alien or some other target. Maybe this has point... Actually, I tried to target empty spot to see AP cost.

My only question is why do you want to purposely shoot into empty space?

5. Clicking "end turn" with cursor in shoot mode makes it should at the beginning of the next turn. Made me almost destroy Hunter with a shot from sniper rifle. :)

This May be a Bug, I did not see anything like it over ont he Bug Forum, can you reproduce it? If so maybe mage a save file and report the bug with the save uploaded to have it looked into.

This May be a Bug, I did not see anything like it over ont he Bug Forum, can you reproduce it? If so maybe mage a save file and report the bug with the save uploaded to have it looked into.

I'll try to reproduce it and report results.

This is something I Like actually, not being able to see more than a slight shape or shadow when you are not close enough to the target

Maybe, but at least position should be visible.

Edited by SmilePic

Have you posted this somewhere else? I could have sworn I saw someone reply to this asking if you couldn't just click the spotted alien icon to center on the alien and then search around in the middle of the screen.

I'm against it :P I think it would take away a bit of the suspense when you encounter a new type of alien that way if you only use a gneric shape/shadow. If its unique to each alien and civilians Id prefere it.

Have you posted this somewhere else? I could have sworn I saw someone reply to this asking if you couldn't just click the spotted alien icon to center on the alien and then search around in the middle of the screen.

I did. I also answered that I had problems spotting alien after clicking at the icon.