User interface - fonts scalability

Hello,

I have recently purchased the pre-order and started the development builds to see it's current progress. Things look nice but I simply can't play this game due to the tiny interface / letters. It;s a big strain on the eyes to see the worldmap and the tiny fonts. Site combat does look better and it seems that the fonts are bigger. But as soon as you return to the overview and it's tabs it seems that the fonts are painfully tiny.

Hopefully you guys can bring up with some kind of a solution for this as for me it's unplayable for now.

The resolution i use is 1024x768

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...
I play on 1366x768 and font is just fine ....(even in windowed mode).

For me this is definitely not the case, unfortunately :( - playing on a laptop screen making out the text on the geoscape (or the tooltips for that matter) is still a big strain...

EDIT: @Chris: Could you make the tooltips use the same font size as the Xenopedia does since it has been last updated? That would relieve the situation a bit at least as far as the tooltips are conerned....

EDIT: The same goes for the news area at the bottom of the geoscape. Any chance to up the font size here as well?

Edited by nas1m

Unfortunately Xeno is quite a complex game and we're displaying a lot of information on each screen, so the text has to scale linearly in most instances (the xenopedia is an exception but we can't use those principles on non-pop-up screens). Unfortunately, a screen that is only 768px tall seems to be the cut-off where some people struggle to play the game, but there's not really much we can do about it now.

Some relative scaling UI wizardry might have been nice, but it's a bit late to try that now (and to be honest with the UI coding systems in the engine I question whether it'd ever have been viable at all). Lessons to be learned for the next game, I guess...

Having played around with the UI a fair bit recently I honestly don't envy you that job :P

You could try modding the UI sections that are giving you problems for yourself though.

If you are not concerned about scaling to other resolutions (and why would you be if you are only doing it for your own individual system to use) then it should be much more straight forward than trying to make a single UI scale properly for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really, no. We implemented it to fix some more severe 4:3 bugs we were having.

To be honest 1024x768 is a very small screen these days and there's only so small we can go while still being able to display the required information (especially if you're not on widescreen). I guess we can give you a refund if the game's unplayable and you're not planning to upgrade at any point?

• 3 months later...

I wanted to buy this game for a long time, now that its released and after watching my friend playing it.... I decided not to. The font is totally unaccepted. It kills my eyes. X-COM enemy unknown's UI is bloody huge????!!! Gosh, I just want to play it without straining my eyes.

Agreed, UI design is awful. Extremly tiny unscalable fonts, very hard to read on any display from 14 to 23 inch. UI design (not the art, art is wonderful) it is, in my opinion, failure of dev team. After steam early access release there was promise about some 'new UI' resolving tiny fonts complains . We can see now it was just scaling fonts few pixels up and color change.

Please Goldhawk, for next game hire UI designer.

Huge disappointment for me.

...tiny interface / letters. It;s a big strain on the eyes to see the worldmap and the tiny fonts... fonts are painfully tiny.

Hopefully you guys can bring up with some kind of a solution for this as for me it's unplayable for now.

I am playing 1280 x 1024, beside that, I agree with MrMarcus.