V20 Stable Smoke

Hi All,

I have just started playing so I am still getting used to the game. But when I use smoke my accuracy is reduced to 0 from inside the smoke. Is this normal? Also im having a tough time in ground combat. Any tips from veterans out there?

Best

Yes. Smoke now always stops shots hitting the intended target, although it can hit others by accident. Note that grenades thrown through smoke still generally land kinda near the target.

General ground combat tips I can give you:

• For scouting the battlefield you're going to want either a vehicle or a guy using a shield. Vehicles get +2 vision, while shields have a 90% chance to absorb incoming fire from the front 45 degress (I think).

• Suppression prevents a unit from reaction firing, and also halves their APs on their next turn. Suppression resistance regenerates slowly - four turns without taking any fire to get back up to full, iirc - so it's fairly easy to chain suppress enemies. So even if it seems unikely you'll nail the alien hiding behind that crate, it can be worth it to fire anyway.

• Burst fire, flashbangs and snipers are good sources of suppression.

• Don't bunch up your men. The aliens will start to pack grenades later on.

• Use smoke as a get-out-of-jail card. Has a scout stumbled into a bad situation and will probably die next turn? Lob smoke onto him. Want to chuck flashbangs into a UFO? Smoke. See a civ about to be picked off by an alien? Smoke that sucker.

• Most aliens have a visual range of 18 squares, the same as your soldiers. The lizardmen can only see 16 squares.

• Shots fired from out of a gun's range cause zero suppression.

Good luck out there!

Edit: forgot an important one. Frag grenades and rockets will destroy any equipment an alien's got on them if they deal the final blow. While they're powerful, using them willy-nilly will hurt your wallet.

Edited by Ol' Stinky