Mind Control [For Humans]

Wolfy

I'll repost what I said in another thread; these are my thoughts on the matter.

I wouldn't really miss psi powers, to be honest. I'm hardly an X-COM veteran, so my word on this doesn't count for much, but I found having to grind up psionic skill every mission rather tedious. It was fun once you were able to MC aliens and run them over the map, but I realized that the end result of doing so was that none of my core troopers were ever exposed to enemy fire; they could just park in the Skyranger and shoot out mind-blasts to their heart's content without every coming under fire. Where's the fun in that?

I wouldn't necessarily mind psionic powers if they required direct LoS for the psion and had limited range, as you would then be required to put your soldiers in harm's way in return for the massive benefit of MCing enemies, but the X-COM psionics were just way too powerful. The fun in X-COM is heading out to a mission not knowing if your elite soldiers are coming back, and you always know the psi-troopers are coming back.

In the original X-COM, you can mind control aliens, so I think we should have it in Xenonauts, since otherwise Humans have lost knowledge since 1999 ;D

Thanks,

- Wolfy

Bear in mind that this game is set in 1979, toward the end of the Cold War. Also, while it is a spiritual successor to X-COM, it does not share the same setting.

Edited by TheTuninator

• 2 weeks later...
I'll repost what I said in another thread; these are my thoughts on the matter.

Bear in mind that this game is set in 1979, toward the end of the Cold War. Also, while it is a spiritual successor to X-COM, it does not share the same setting.

It personally looks more advanced then X-COM, but okay.

I remember one of the problems I had with X-COM was when soldier psi stats were eventually revealed (through research and construction of a psi training room, I believe). Some of your best veterans would likely be discovered to have poor psi resistance, meaning you had little reason to keep them around unless you wanted the liability of your most skilled marksmen being mind-controlled into acts of friendly fire. Of course they could be mind-controlled before the psi stats were revealed, but once they were on the table you'd be faced with some unpleasant choices.

I suppose some would regard this as an added challenge which is fair enough, but I never really liked the added likelihood of having to drop favourite veterans.