Why such fanatical resistance?

Thinking of it better it makes sense, as an uncontroled reaper infestation can be a nightmare to control even for their masters. So its not a zombie like apocalipsis but having several hundred of them roaming randomly the country is still something you cant let it happen though. The level of terror and chaos it can make on the population is quite high, wich means absolute success in the aliens terror mission.

Oh yes, it's definitely true, but the same can be said about a Sebillian - armed or not.

Oh, and I doubt Reapers can recharge; there's nothing to suggest this and I find it scientifically unlikely.

A Sebillian doesn't turn into 10,000 Sebillians before it starts slaughtering, though.

I'm doubtful about the recharge option as well, but it's always possible. The limitation on Reaper reproduction is based on the Alenium level in their bloodstream if I recall the autopsy correctly, so we don't know if there is a way of topping up that level or if it's just set when they are cloned/hatched/whatever.

I agree with everything you said, except for the Reapers. The Xenopedia description (and common sense) clearly says that they cannot multiply indefinitely due to energy depletion. If memory serves me, one Reaper can spawn several hundred offspring, including all generations, which is still a lot but nothing overwhelming.

One Reaper = 10,000 offspring.

Not like national governments would know this, nor does it change anything about tactical nukes being completely reasonable.