New player looking for some general advice...

Hey All:

I'm new to Xenonauts, and X-Com in general, and I'm here to solicit advice in terms of general gameplay. I'm about to sit down with the manual before giving my first game a go, but I was hoping that some of you could offer up some general how-to advice - on a tactical/strategic/logistical level, rather than a "here are the keymappings and menu layouts." Essentially, anything you think a new player should know that isn't covered in the manual. Keep in mind, I've been gaming on the PC for 15+ years, so I'm pretty comfortable with most of the terminology and any analogies to other games/design concepts that you may make.

I did a few forum searches, and a wee Google search, and came up dry, but if this has already been covered, please point me in the right direction!

Thanks,

Aidan

Well I'm rather a newbie myself, but I can give a few pointers tactics wise for Xenonauts, early game at least.

Air combat :-

A Mig can take usually take a scout 1 on 1.

It takes 2 F-17s to bring down a scout.

2 Migs can bring down a Corvette.

Ground combat :-

Personally I like to take a mix of weapons. 3-4 Riflemen, 1-2 Snipers, 2 Shotguns and a Bazooka (though generally I don't get much use out of him sometimes you need to turn walls into doors and your Hunter is out of ammo/dead)

Don't send guys off on their own, try to at least keep them in pairs.

Leapfrogging is very useful when advancing. It'd be nice if you could always leave your guys with enough action points for some reaction fire but this is often not possible, at least if you want to get anywhere quickly.

If your advancing soldiers detect an alien those in the covering fire group can try to deal with them, or if an alien moves out to attack the advancing soldiers in their turn they will take some reaction fire.

heavier armour weighs a lot more. Basically only equip people with heavier armour if it doesn't lower their AP amount (the 2 bars on the equip screen). Taking into account the weight of their weapons etc. Basically it means scouts (men with pistols if you like them) and support (snipers, machine gunners, rocket launchers) should not have armour, men with rifles shotguns should (assault classes)

everyone should get a medkit too.

as for building a new base, do it where you have no coverage whatsoever, not near your first. And do it when you have sufficient resources to do so comfortably. Start it off as a radar base, then interceptor base (with hangars and up to 3 interceptors). then make another when comfortable to do so, etc.

Another thing to bear in mind is that there is a vision difference between armored and not armored, which is why scouts are so useful. A scout can see a couple extra spaces (which is outside the range of the Ceasan reaction firing). I tend to reserve my armored troops for breaching rooms and guarding my heavy weapon troops.