Fix for Grenade Throwing in Buildings

So, we all love that we can throw grenades over stuff now. Love it, beautiful, thank you all. :)

That being said, I've heard that we now can't throw grenades indoors, because of the ceiling being too low. (At least, one tile high ceilings. I dunno about 2 tiles and up).

This got me thinking, and someone else (I forget who, sorry) asked about something similar, and the idea evolved in my head to put two "throwing methods" in for grenades.

So, basically, we have the old "straight line" equation for grenades still, and we have the new "high arc" equation for grenades.

Why not give us the ability to right-click (or use the scroll wheel, either/or/both), as if we were changing aim levels, to pick which method to use? This way, we could throw over a prop, or we could throw in a straight line under a ceiling.

I'd even make the straight line throw have a longer range, if possible, since there's more velocity in the x direction vs the y direction compared to the arc throw, which would have more velocity (compared to the straight line) in the y direction. Does that make sense?

Hey, we could name them "Low Throw" and "High Throw". Low Throw travels farther, because less energy is used to make it go up as well as forward (that's what I was saying with the x and y directions; it's a physics thing), and can be used indoors, and the High Throw is used to throw over props, and maybe even on to roofs, higher tiles, etc (depending on how the formula).

Well, you have to consider that this game has issues in the engine department, and so I'm trying to make a fix for that. I don't know if such a universal grenade trajectory is possible, given how the game handles things.

As far as common sense, and expected, remember, this is a little indie game. You can't expect it to be able to work perfectly in every case, especially since the engine is lame, and the guys who own it and refuse to release the source code (so goldhawk can fix it) even more lame.

I totally support it. The Russian games e5 brigade and 7.62 is where I saw a good amount of control over grenade arcs and made me ask for it in the Ground Combat UI thread. So if you want an idea how it works there you could look on You Tube for videos of it.

My request is not separate arcs you have to select, you actually shape the arc with your mouse, then a skill roll would determine of you succeed in making that arc, how far it diverts, etc.

Mechanically the way it worked was, you click the target location for the grenade, keep the button clicked down and then moving the mouse up and down increases or flattens the arc of the grenade respectively. It might have also been you click location, move up or down to set arc, click again, it's been some time since I played it.

Edited by shabowie