Recoil, and what it means to weapon modders.

WalrusJones

So, recently, I wondered what this always zero recoil attribute was.

Being a reasonable person, I immediately messaged Chris on what is this magical attribute.

He promptly replied:

hGcKU4H.png

Now.

If this is true.

1. It means we can make heavier and heavier weapons without sacrificing balance, an early game acquisition might not be useful until later, when its glory and potential are unlocked by the raw power of impossibly seasoned veterans. (Weapon tier Renaissances, so to speak.)

2. It can be used to add further depth to squad member choice (Strong squad members can use "better" weapons, but naturally.... This makes the odds of getting a model soldier even less likely.)

3. It can add great attribute diversity to the game (Impossibly accurate weapons, that just ain't so for the average cityfolk.)

Edited by WalrusJones

You have no clue how much easier this makes things for me: In balancing the second tier weapons, battle rifles, heavy, and ultra-heavy weaponry for my mod.

Rough example:

my4Njgm.png May be accurate, long range, and almost as powerful as a shotgun (Not damaging, some of that power is mitigation, where a shotgun would be raw damage...)

The average early game soldier gets only the damage part, and is better off with a shotgun.

- Has a special ability for when more modder centric features are added.

wZjY6Mt.png Lighter, capable of burst fire, but few soldiers can use it whatsoever due to the aforementioned light weight making the recoil worse, and its burst fire not being very accurate even in the hands of soldiers well suited to it.

- Additional ammo options.

- Marginal armor mitigation, and accuracy bonuses over the last model, but not much.

- Manufactured, but cheap.

tEDlGMj.png Is fairly light in its own, has reduced recoil, high capacity, and some attribute upgrades, but has a shorter burstfire then the above, as well as using alloys in an era when the first lasers become available (Much less, much faster, much cheaper, but still some.)

- More ammo options then last time.

- Recoil still nasty.

- Moderate damage upgrade, Accuracy bonus to burst fire, which is now two round.

Note that my mod DOES currently cap skill growth in a few categories (Where people would farm.)

Edited by WalrusJones