[v8.5 Ground Combat] Lock up upon killing last alien

Pretty sure this is 8.5 anyhow. Just got the game a few days ago, and eager to see everything it has to offer. Went into do a ground mission to recover a crashed alien, fought my way all the way through with no troubles, but at the very end, after I kill the last alien, it freezes up on the "Hidden Movement" screen and refuses to do anything else. There's no progressions possible without recovering tech from ground missions, but I'm unable to proceed past a Ground Combat mission.

I've started numerous new games (Had a few where I couldn't get into the spaceship to kill the last alien, due to the placement of the crashed ship), and each time I'm able to go all the way through, as soon as I kill the last alien, it freezes.

You should read through the bug report topics. This has been posted before, several times actually. If you can't read through the entire topic, at least view the titles of other bug topics, as they should give a clear indication about what it's about.

Good on ya for joining the bug testing brigade though!

Apologies. I noticed my error shortly after I posted it. It was only a few posts down, no less. Feel like a goober. Even then, all I see are bugs on it after the first few turns, or in the middle of the mission, with improper AI coding as the culprit. This happens at the very end, after all aliens are dead, so would AI still be the reason? Or would it be from trying to load up the new info into the geoscape portion of the game? It seems like a great game so far, and I look forward to more of it. Provided I can get past the first 15 minutes of it. *Grin*

I've read through the other similar threads and this one seems to be the closest to what is happening with me.

Naturally I don't know for sure if it happening upon killing the last alien but everything else is exactly the same as Rob.

The other threads seem to make mention of wounded aliens causing the problem but every alien I have encountered has been killed in a single turn.

First mission, I take out 4-5 aliens, hit end turn, game locks up on the "Hidden Movement" screen. I've restarted another 2 times using the autosave just before battle with the same series of events.

The first 2 times I was playing in full screen 1280x1080 and when I opened the Task Manager it said Xenonauts was not responding.

3rd time running in 1280x720 as Lurker suggested, and also in windowed mode, it is stuck on the Hidden Movement screen however when I open Task Manager it says the program is still running.

Also for a split second after opening Task Manager the game flicks back to the Ground Battle view as it was before I hit end turn then the Hidden Movement screen comes back on. It is possible this happened the first two times aswell but because I was in full screen mode Task Manager had minimised the game so I didn't see it.

Edit:

Just to check I had a 4th go, killed all my soldiers before letting the aliens kill my Hunter.

Aside from it being a little odd that the battle doesn't end automatically when everyone dies, I still had to click End Turn and the aliens did a little running about before it finished, the game at least continued on to a mission report screen and then back to the geoscape without issue.

More Edits:

Try 4: Full Screen mode, restart from same save just at the Ground Battle.

-Kill 5-6 aliens over the course of a few turns.

-Press end turn after killing what I'm guessing was the final alien.

-Game freezes on Hidden Movement, though the music is still playing.

-Open Task Manager, program not responding, close program.

Try 5: Windowed mode, new campaign.

-First crash site of campaign.

-No problems at all, Mission Complete screen came up fine.

I guess whatever change the switching of resultion made didn't take effect on the first battle of my saved game which had been made while in full screen mode.

Also don't worry Rob I now feel like a total numpty too, I finally saw it in the Master Bug list.

"- Game freeze after killing last alien. 26/12"

Edited by Inkallim

Okay done some retesting of this.

In 720 windowed mode there is, as before, no issue at all everything goes through to the Mission Debrief fine.

I was testing using the "hold UFO for 5 turns" rather than killing all the aliens as that way I could replicate the test, though I think I did end my first full screen try by killing all the aliens and had the same issue mentioned below.

Full screen 1280x1024.

Upon hitting turn 5 of holding the UFO the game would lock up, not on a Hidden Deployment screen this time just on the normal battle view as it was when I hit end turn.

Task Manager says program not responding.

I tried this 3-4 times with the same lock up each time.

Then I went and wiped out my own squad to get a Mission Failed screen and that came up fine so it appears to be some kind of problem with the Mission Success screen.

Edited by Inkallim

Just reproduced this, thanks. It appears to be linked specifically to the 1280x1024 resolution, which is strange. I've never seen a bug in this game linked to a particular resolution before. I'll get it reported to the combat programmer.