Granade throw range and flares

As of V19 much needed grenade range changes, with low lvl soldiers, flares can only be thrown at a range similar or lower then soldier's view range. Sort of defies the purpose :) Maybe max range should be bumped a bit, so we can a fighting chance at night?

Makes me think Pistols could have special bullets: a longer, low velocity and highly stable hollow projectile filled with some of the same stuff as flares; stabilization is provided by very small compressed fins that deploy when the projectile leaves the barrel. The projectile breaks when it hits, releasing the goop and "illuminates" the target for a couple rounds, providing extended visual range/squad sight and an acc bonus to squad. For use on night missions only.

Just tossed the idea for some lols, but it could actually make ballistic pistols useful throughout the whole game.

Edited by Xenomorph

Personally I don't have an issue with the grenades, only the flares. It'd be better since they're lighter to increase flare throw variable by a higher amount than other grenades. On your idea of special pistol bullets, I think that would be a bit off for the 70s-80s, though a flare gun would be cool.

On a side note, why are there no grenade launchers?

Edited by Riotmaker

It seems like the +10% of the thrower's str bonus to range isn't working properly (according to a couple bug reports). Just so you know, there can't be multiple ammo types for weapons, only multiple rocket types, multiple grenade types, etc. A dedicated flare gun is a cool idea, I support it. Also, grenade launchers are out because they would let you attack enemies from afar, without putting a soldier in danger. That's why psionics and blaster bombs are out too. (Besides the fact that those last two became way overpowered).

That's why psionics and blaster bombs are out too. (Besides the fact that those last two became way overpowered).

Pretty much, those were the "win" button. It was a very good decision to leave them out. By the time we had enough blaster launchers/bombs, we wouldn't need any loot anymore, it was all about vaporizing everything and get it over with quick.

Yeh I noticed this too. Pretty much pointless having them now. Makes me wonder why item weight is not factored into throw distance. Then you could just set flare weight to 0.25kg and a grenade to 0.5kg and allow grenades to be thrown twice the distance or something.