Battlescape suggestions

It's hard to keep track of everything already suggested so I apologize in advance if some of these have already been submitted. Here is what I would like to be able to do:

• 2 squad mates exchange places
  • throwing weapons/ammo/medikit to other squad mate
  • forced fire (no need for a valid target) to destroy a wall, etc. (maybe require to press CTRL for that)
  • I haven't seen a squaddie faint so far they always die but if it's in the game, the ability to drag the wounded

I hope it is all within the capabilities of the engine and you consider implementing them.

You can put downed soldiers in your backpack, although there's little need to to be honest. There's a chance that if they aren't hurt too much past 0HP they'll be revived after the mission ends (ie a field surgeon gets to them or something).

There is a forced fire mode, I forget which key it is to use it though. I'm thinking it's Shift. Anyway, if you look in the Options screen when you first launch the game, you can find the key bindings and look through there. I would myself, but I don't have the game installed at the moment.

EDIT: Sathra said it, it's Ctrl.

How would you like the squadmates to exchange places?

In the dropship? Their squad number hotkeys? More clarification is needed to adequately answer your question.

I don't know if throwing things will be implemented, but practically everyone would like that to be implemented. It's a very useful idea.

Edited by GizmoGomez

Exchanging place scenario would for example soldiers stacked up against a door. The first in line hasn't enought TU to fire anymore but enough to move a bit. He is however blocked by the one behind him. For a small TU cost (6 for instance) he could exchange places with the guy behind him who could then open fire. I am aware that he could crouch and let the other soldier behind shoot. However the second soldier would have a reduced field of view as opposed to standing at the door.

I tried forced fire before and I don't know what I did wrong but it didn't work. Retried just know and it was fine.

Huh, odd with the forced fire.

Anyway, adding that behavior for soldiers would be complicated (I would expect, I'm not a developer) and I don't think that it would be the best use of the developers time and resources. It's an interesting idea, though.

Personally, I'd be against it, based on a few things. One, again, the developers have other things to do, but two, it takes some of the original X-Com out of the game. I know that's not the best reason for things, "the OG did it differently," but it'd be odd to see I'd think. Also, third, I don't know how it would be done UI wise. There would have to be a switch button or something, because trying to "walk on" the guy next to you simply selects him.

EDIT: Honestly, the "not x-com" issue is very small, if it worked well I'd be for it. But I think that the first reason, the developers have more important things to do, is the main reason why it won't (and maybe shouldn't) be implemented.

What I do is simply make sure the guy in the doorway has enough TUs left over to move out of the way. After a while it becomes automatic and you don't have to think about it anymore.

Edited by GizmoGomez

I have to agree with the switch places move. Soldiers stacking at a door for entry is a fundamental skill and should be a smooth process.

It should have a TU cost equal to moving to the square plus a small amount.

EDIT:

Forced fire: click on the rifle portrait. Click where you want to shoot.

Edited by xcorps