Aircraft status indicators?

It could probably be done (though in beta rather than now). Are you sure you'd want it, though? You'd get a LOT of them and as you can launch aircraft as long as they are over 50% health and fuel it shouldn't be too much of an issue not having it.

Is there a particular situation that has arisen that makes you request the feature?

well, it's always annoying having UFOs pop up just as your aircraft come back to base, and having to let it fly around a bit before you know for certain the planes are good to go. happened to me in the first two x-com games as well. (*shakes fist at refuelling aircraft*)

now that you mention the volume of notifications, though, i'm thinking perhaps you might want to implement it like the notification system in x-com apocalypse? (with the toggles for autopause and such. always liked that one, it was pretty practical)

Heh, I turned off most of the Apoc notifications. Useful, yes, but it paused for each craft. Considering the number of hoverbikes and cars I used, that was ALOT of pausing.

Why not animations on the geoscape? Flashing, swirly thing on the relevant base for a while, fading slowly. And a message on the scrolling log of course.

a toggle, while probably the option requiring the most coding, is always the best way to implement it because it provides all options. why implement either A or B but not both, when you can implement both and let the players choose? more options is always better as long as they don't needlessly overcomplicate the game, and many a game has become annoying quickly due to lack of choice in certain theings (the ur-example being drawn-out cutscenes that you can't skip).