Mission Types and Sight Radius

so first of all, loving this game. i didnt play the original, but loved ja2, incubation and generally all tbs games, so i guess its only natural. i've not played much yet, but i have two "issues":

1) the only combat missions are ufo's i've shot down. is there more in store? is other stuff being developed? i would really love to liberate maps (cities/army bases/hospitals/etc) or defend strategically important places. as it is, i dont feel like i really am accomplishing anything. dont get me wrong, i find it very engaging to be so hopelessly outgunned and outmanned against an overwhelming opponent, but it would be great if i could slowly "retake" the world, one city(block) at a time.

2) sight radius is very low. while that adds to the tension, maybe it would be good to be able to equip a sniper with binoculars or something, to enable him to act like a scout at the expense of movement points of course. being shot at from the dark because distances between cover are too large to make in one turn is just plain frustrating.

again, ive put in maybe two hours, so there is a good chance both issues will dissolve soon.

ps.: a minor issue just came to mind: why is it that with two soldiers standing in a row, the front one in a ducked position, the rear one cant shoot over him? thats silly!

1) there's also alien base attacks, terror missions (in human cities of course) and Xenonauts base attack. There's also of course the final mission. I believe there should also be a "reclaiming fallen country" mission but i didn't play far enough to run into that.

2) That's a known issue, one would to deal with it is using the scout car/hunter as it has a much bigger site then soldiers or using sight squad smartly.

regarding your ps - it actually makes perfect sense cause the one behind the guy that's ducking won't shoot right into his friend unless he's a complete idiot...

Edited by raziel1981

There are 4 main missions

UFO crash/landing site - with arctic, farm, desert, industrial and middle east tile sets. basically wipe out all aliens or secure the ship for so many turns. This is the majority of missions.

Terror- soviet/town - kill the aliens, no ship - and try and avoid civvie deaths.

Base defense - it can get damaged

Alien base assault- secure key objectives.

The map you fight on will vary depending on tileset and what has been created for it. At the moment I am creating military base stuff.

ps.: a minor issue just came to mind: why is it that with two soldiers standing in a row, the front one in a ducked position, the rear one cant shoot over him? thats silly!

Actually, if the ducked guy is directly in front of the standing shooter (i.e. in the next tile) you can fire over him with NO chance to hit the friendly. It only gets dangerous when there is more than one tile of separation.

I'm currently in my first alien base assault and I must say that I feel my soldiers needed to bring a seeing eye dog with them. The only way you can see an alien is if your right on top of them. I love the narrow corridor fighting but the range of which the aliens can shoot you from just feels a tad ridiculous.