Enemy behavior and AI suggestions

Well, the smart commander would do that unless he knew that was where he was expected to be. In our case, if the aliens sometimes stand in "dumb" places they can actually become more interesting and dangerous by surprising the player. On a certain farm map with small scouts, I know that I never even have to look into a field to my right, and that if I reach a certain point I can stop being cautious and just sprint for several full turns until I reach the UFO. That's because the fields in question have no cover and aliens don't spawn or move there. An alien standing in a "dumb" spot would really mess me up at that point.
I know about that map. It's more a problem with random placement than bad placement in that case. There are some fine positions on that side, but for some reason the aliens never seem to end up there. Hopefully, that will be fixed. I was thinking more about aliens with no cover out in the middle of a field type of thing vs. good cover but limited position available. Edited by StellarRat

A suggestion I would make is to alter the Wraith's crazy teleporting behavior as soon as possible--I get that teleporting is their 'thing' but they might do it less often, or in a less cowardly way. Chasing one of those things down on a large map with only a few xenonauts alive is maddening.