The Ability to Redirect Aircraft who are low on fuel

Belmakor

I recently had a case of my Chinook flying over to the USA from Europe in the hope of making it to a drop zone. Just before it reached the coast it of course notified me of its low fuel status and that it was returning to base.

However, I had actually just completed a hangar in a base in Florida which was much closer to both the crash site and Chinook.

Ideally I would have liked it if the Chinook could have made it to the mission (it would have had about 30% fuel left) and then continued on to the Florida base for a refuel. This was something you were able to do in the original UFO (if i remember correctly). You could even send up one of your interceptors to free area in the hangar bay for the Chinook to refuel.

Unfortunately, once an aircraft notifies you of a low fuel status you are unable to redirect on otherwise control it.

Would it be possible to allow for this? Of course this could lead to an instance of the redirected aircraft running out of fuel. This could result in automatic destruction (as is the UFO way) or perhaps a message notifying you that the aircraft had done an emergency landing at a national military base or airport and would be out of action for 1 week or something?

I don't think we'll be able to do this due to technical reasons. The utility of the command is pretty low, and it'd cause absolute havoc in terms of the coding. Aircraft and soldiers are assigned to a base and I think the code is centred around that - they basically act as an item in the base stores in most respects. Having them temporarily moving from one to another would open a rather large can of worms, I think. Not worth it for what you want to do there.