Suggestion: data format

Now most of project data is stored in xml files.

And some of them are not pure xml files but MS Excel tables saved in xml format.

They contain vast volume of excess information (such as column size, font styles etc).

This information gives no help to game but:

- increase volume of files (it is critical - game already include over 180Mb of XMls)

- force you to use two different data reading modules, and it is a potential source of sudden bug (I stepped on this rake in my projects).

I propose to unify data format. Preferrably as real XML, not "XLS as XML"

My second proposition is save game in XML format too.

Yes, it will increase volume of savegame file, but (by my experience) very much simplify debugging process.

And in final release you can just add any simple-but-reliable zipping+crypting procedure to prevent savegame cheating.

Only big minus I see - such save will reveal some of game's "inner kitchen". How to rate this risk is up to DEVs.

PS. If such themes are not disputable,

or if you prefer not to discuss game innards openly (moreover with outsiders),

or "just who are you a_beorning to teach us how to write software :) "

- DEVs, just say so (here or in PM), and I drop it, with no hard feelings on my part.

I would like a reduction in MS Excel and an increase in regular .xml files. Switching between Xcode and Excel does get a tad tedious. But, like the OP says, it's completely up to the devs. I think it might be easier for them, unifying the stuff like that, instead of needing to switch programs and stuff, so it would benefit the devs; but maybe that's just me.

Have you considered the fact that editing data in Excel tables is much easier than having to know the xml structure of each file and editing it manually?

Your argument about data size is invalid if you count all the xml files, you have to consider that the Excel's XML-saved files are no more than 40, the others are real xml files..

About savegames, it's not a discussion to be done at the current state of project.

But I'd agree with you, having plain text savefiles at least during development would help a lot on bug hunting, with the downside of being a bit more complicated in terms of data saving and loading from code (not to mention filesize!).

But I don't want to criticize the coder that took that decision as he has a bunch more experience than I have, so he probably had a good reason for chosing that way.