Granades, bug or feature?

I have a significant issue with how throwables are functioning at the moment, and I hope this is a bug that can be fixed.

Whenever a soldier throws, for example, a grenade over any obstacle, there's a chance to fail. The UI indicates that the object is the reason behind the diminished chance of success. Thus, one would expect the obstacle to be the point of failure, or the point where the throw starts to go wrong—perhaps a bit short, a bit long, not straight, or whatever the case may be.

However, what happens is the soldier just drops the grenade at their feet. If you choose a tile right next to where you wanted and the obstacle is no longer in the throwing arch, the chance of success is now 100%.

The grenade should NOT just drop at the soldier's feet.

image.png

Edited by compass

35 minutes ago, compass said:

I have a significant issue with how throwables are functioning at the moment, and I hope this is a bug that can be fixed.

Whenever a soldier throws, for example, a grenade over any obstacle, there's a chance to fail. The UI indicates that the object is the reason behind the diminished chance of success. Thus, one would expect the obstacle to be the point of failure, or the point where the throw starts to go wrong—perhaps a bit short, a bit long, not straight, or whatever the case may be.

However, what happens is the soldier just drops the grenade at their feet. If you choose a tile right next to where you wanted and the obstacle is no longer in the throwing arch, the chance of success is now 100%.

The grenade should NOT just drop at the soldier's feet.

image.png

Hmmm - that's a bug, then. Basically the calculation should be that the grenade scatters a certain distance in a random direction and then tries to travel down the new path, checking whether it hits any objects along the way. Potentially what's happening is that it's scattering far enough to the left that the soldier is hitting the doorway / wall immediately in front of them (which has a 100% block chance and will look like the soldier dropped the grenade at their feet), but that certainly shouldn't always happen.

And yes, you're probably right that the "misses" should be divided into a miss caused by a fundamental mis-throw by the soldier, and a miss that would have otherwise hit were it not for an intervening object. In the latter case then the grenade should impact on the intervening object. In the case above the hit chance without the intervening missiles would be about 95% so yeah, it would make sense for the vast majority of misses to hit the missiles instead.

I'm happy to look at some save games if you have them where the throws aren't behaving sensibly. Just create a bug report and attach them. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chris said:

the calculation should be that the grenade scatters a certain distance in a random direction and then tries to travel down the new path, checking whether it hits any objects along the way.

1.  it  seems to me, that  grenades tend to fly thru the  roof  and back. For example in the large room the ballistic curve goes thru the building. e.i. range inside rooms should  be capped. 

2. throwing a grenade for  short distance should be done  by lower angle of attack. (see artillery meaning), it should  use different animation - like curling or bowling move. This way of attack is also more accurate. (bonus  to accuracy) You can try it by  yourself. Use a tennis-ball in your office. When  you send a  grenade like a bowling ball into  a room, it is easy to do, easy to hit and very precise. 

3. you should add an alien with tentacles who kick  grenades   back. Or an  guick  shooting alien robot (yes, the  flaying one  on the  screenshot above ) who can shot down grenades as a  form of reaction  fire.

Details matters :-)

Edited by gG-Unknown