Some feedback and ideas to take the game to the very next level

I played Xenonauts 1, and also got to play Xenonauts 2 (26 hours of play), and aside from that I am a longtime fan of the XCOM series, played and beat them all on various difficulty levels, including the classic ones (yes, I'm an old fart) :D

Here is some of the feedback that I got about Xenonauts 2, as well as some ideas to take it to the next level!

1. I really enjoy the way you designed the air battles; however, I find it impossible to shoot down the 3 interceptors even with 3 Phantoms using the best available / researched weapons. I think it would be cool if it was possible to send more than 3 fighter jets into battles, as they say, if you can't beat them in quality, beat them in quantity.
  2. The auto battles for air combat are cool, but I would love to be able to see how they fight, how they use the roll and the afterburner, and when they actually do it, I think the visuals would make the game a lot more enjoyable, plus as a commander you shouldn't have to micro manage every move, maybe you could introduce a concept of generals, with their own skills, who would have certain benefits in air battles and even leveling ramp with skills.
  3. Same thing I mentioned for number 2, would be amazing to be able to utilize in ground tactical battles, gear up your team, send them into combat, select their initial strategy via your general (AI), grab some popcorn, and watch them go through the tactical map eliminating the aliens, in other words, as a commander you send them in, but tactical decisions in the field are to be made by AI, or your field general who could have some skills of his own.
  4. Add the ability to improve the defenses of the different continents, so that the ground & air militaries can at times stand up for themselves, add some politics, and some diplomacy, etc.
  5. Add more soundtracks for ground & air battles, so that the music is fun and does not get too repetitive.

Other than that, good job on the project, really cool and refreshing game.

Edited by GIraaa

7 hours ago, GIraaa said:

Same thing I mentioned for number 2, would be amazing to be able to utilize in ground tactical battles, gear up your team, send them into combat, select their initial strategy via your general (AI), grab some popcorn, and watch them go through the tactical map eliminating the aliens, in other words, as a commander you send them in, but tactical decisions in the field are to be made by AI, or your field general who could have some skills of his own.

Something like Age of Wonders 4 auto-resolve and 'watch the reply' option? 

11 hours ago, GIraaa said:

I really enjoy the way you designed the air battles; however, I find it impossible to shoot down the 3 interceptors even with 3 Phantoms using the best available / researched weapons. I think it would be cool if it was possible to send more than 3 fighter jets into battles, as they say, if you can't beat them in quality, beat them in quantity.

The game doesn't seem to forbid using multiple squadrons to attack. The first group of fighters (squadron) attacks, damages the UFO and immediately retreats. The second group of fighters (squadron) finishes off the UFO or also - only deals damage and retreats. The third group is already finishing off the damaged UFOs.

6 minutes ago, GIraaa said:

image.thumb.png.8ae85ccc155d98548ff1a9f171bf552a.png

Yes, but what I am suggesting is different, I am talking about attacking with more than 3 fighter jets at once, or simultaneously, and not by turns :)

But then what will prevent the aliens from visiting the Earth in huge groups of UFOs while you will have another 1-2-3 fighter? And what will prevent aliens from flying as large groups of UFOs as your planes?

I think interceptors should fly randomally automatically on a reserve fuel with a (fight fuel was in x1)or even have patrol planes in area of bases  and the player then takes control if a vessel is spotted to make decision on the attack or automatic or even to send a squadron if the case of patrol planes then they should follow at a distance untill squadron arrives as they can be used as a recon over crashed alien vessels 

image.thumb.png.a2211fcc7d1ecfba9ceff744dde1d803.png

Number of UFOs flying around should correspond to number of active alien bases, which btw I only encountered just 1 in the whole game so far, so if you take out their bases, you also reduce the number of UFOs flying around (there should still be a minimal number flying around assuming you took out all of their bases). New alien bases should spawn with time, just as you build new bases with time. Now regarding fighter jets, let's be real, hangars take a lot of space on your base, you can only place so many of them at a time while keeping your base diversified in operations.

image.thumb.png.69139da6ca913836e4e80a455fe76c05.png

That's actually a good idea, you think you are going to battle 3 UFOs, you enter the battle, and all of the sudden alien reinforcement flies in, which you can see on your global screen, and which you can also intercept with another fleet of yours, or let it reinforce their UFO fleet which you are currently battling. As you see, this creates more realism, more scenarios, and more potential outcomes and excitement :)

Then the maximum size of one fleet will be determined by the maximum capacity aircraft of one Base. And that would be logical. I would suggest 2-storey Bases. Or Bases of two types: 1: Bases for radars and fighters 2: Bases for transport, personnel, laboratories, etc.. If the Airbase can accommodate only 3 aircraft hangars with a size of 2x2; one runway with a size of 6x2; and auxiliary rooms with a total area of 6x2, then the maximum size of the fleet will be 3. But of course I would add another aircraft, and increase the air fleet to 4 aircraft. So that they can fly in pairs 2x2=4.

image.thumb.png.f109fc93e60e2c64d41c6c8546182dd2.png

Yes, size of one fleet should be limited to number of hangars in one base, aside from that you could call in reinforcements from other bases, and those fleets could join mid battle to assist your current fleet that is battling the UFO fleet. This would of course require the air battles to go for longer, to allow for some time for reinforcing fleets to arrive (from both Alien bases and Player bases). I don't think we need to add another story for the bases or make it super complicated at this point (the idea is to keep the bases flexible to however the Player wants to design them), as programmers would hate us for it lol, but in general what you are suggesting is also a good idea, maybe something to add when X3 comes out? :)

26 minutes ago, GIraaa said:

I don't think we need to add another story for the bases or make it super complicated at this point (the idea is to keep the bases flexible to however the Player wants to design them), as programmers would hate us for it lol, but

It is enough to add to the game one huge building "airfield complex" in size 6x4 (5x4 or 4x4), which immediately includes the foundation for all subsequent buildings, improvements of these buildings and makes it impossible to build other buildings (not related to the airfield) - then you can limit yourself to the functionality of existing bases.

The game also has cities. The player can use them as locations for their airfields. These airfields can be made mobile.

image.thumb.png.f058fe7cb35d346a649081af0224350c.png

Yeah, I don't know about the city ideas, I'd just stick to the original 5 recommendations I listed in the very first post, we got to be considerate with the amount of time programmers have to make all those additions & changes, as well as the overall budget this project has. Perhaps if they add some DLCs and other content to raise more funds, they could add some more stuff later on.

I noticed that the chance of survival at the highest difficulty level is 0%. I'm assuming that this means the chance of dead soldiers surviving a mission. If it is, could you give us some respite and make it 5% at least. The game is hard enough at that level  :-). If it doesn't mean this can anyone enlighten me as I haven't had time to play much of xen 2 yet. I would have thought 0% is just  a little harsh; there's ALWAYS a chance of survival!

Edited by ooey

4 hours ago, ooey said:

I noticed that the chance of survival at the highest difficulty level is 0%. I'm assuming that this means the chance of dead soldiers surviving a mission. If it is, could you give us some respite and make it 5% at least. The game is hard enough at that level  :-). If it doesn't mean this can anyone enlighten me as I haven't had time to play much of xen 2 yet. I would have thought 0% is just  a little harsh; there's ALWAYS a chance of survival!

Why not play on the 2nd hardest difficulty? Or just modify it. As things stand I think Commander is a bit too easy as once you've built your medical centre (which for me is a first day build) you do get some chance of survival. 

7 hours ago, ooey said:

I noticed that the chance of survival at the highest difficulty level is 0%. I'm assuming that this means the chance of dead soldiers surviving a mission.

This is the base chance but it's still increased to a nonzero chance when you build a medical center.

On 8/10/2023 at 4:07 AM, GIraaa said:

I played Xenonauts 1, and also got to play Xenonauts 2 (26 hours of play), and aside from that I am a longtime fan of the XCOM series, played and beat them all on various difficulty levels, including the classic ones (yes, I'm an old fart) :D

Here is some of the feedback that I got about Xenonauts 2, as well as some ideas to take it to the next level!

1. I really enjoy the way you designed the air battles; however, I find it impossible to shoot down the 3 interceptors even with 3 Phantoms using the best available / researched weapons. I think it would be cool if it was possible to send more than 3 fighter jets into battles, as they say, if you can't beat them in quality, beat them in quantity.
  2. The auto battles for air combat are cool, but I would love to be able to see how they fight, how they use the roll and the afterburner, and when they actually do it, I think the visuals would make the game a lot more enjoyable, plus as a commander you shouldn't have to micro manage every move, maybe you could introduce a concept of generals, with their own skills, who would have certain benefits in air battles and even leveling ramp with skills.
  3. Same thing I mentioned for number 2, would be amazing to be able to utilize in ground tactical battles, gear up your team, send them into combat, select their initial strategy via your general (AI), grab some popcorn, and watch them go through the tactical map eliminating the aliens, in other words, as a commander you send them in, but tactical decisions in the field are to be made by AI, or your field general who could have some skills of his own.
  4. Add the ability to improve the defenses of the different continents, so that the ground & air militaries can at times stand up for themselves, add some politics, and some diplomacy, etc

Yeh I agree with that that would say be on the smaller missions or even later on in game as your job as commander would be to put the right squad in the  field and also do correct training etc as this I believe is already happing in back ground like another thread I have just posted in the map when all the terror threats go up wen there is abductions murders etc where we should be able send a new role agent or inspector and this would allow us to bring the threat levels down 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cman1983 said:

Also what do you guys think about the map mini missions eg mayor getting abducted/shot or fishing vessel destroyed etc I think for the missions if we get to do the mini missions a fast boat to build for taking/boarding the vessel 

I would like that. Like it used to be in TFTD, luxury cruise ship terror mission for example. As some of the aliens seem to be amphibious in origin (wraith, sebillian), that would be nice touch adding those. We already have helos as dropships, no need for fast boats.

Perhaps the amphibious alien species could build outposts on the sea or even under water, as the seas remain largely outside radar cover. 

During tactical missions, both species could have the ability to traverse water (maps with lots of water would be needed though)

• Like 1