Research ideas for capturing

So, just completed Build 1 and I liked it a lot!  Obviously still has work to do but in great shape.  So I'm going to be posting some ideas.

All are free to use, I don't want any rights or credits, etc. etc. 

Anyway, I love research from capturing aliens.  It was so fun in XCOM, it was fun in the Firaxis games, it's just fun!  It's a little bit of flavor.  Obviously there's the advanced medkits and regen module, and the mentarch, but here's some more ideas.

Mantid - Compound Eye Module

Engineering project, tactical module grants 180 (or 120 or 270) degree vision.  Cool, flavorful, fun.  Not sure it's great, but hey that's where this should be.

Secton - Squadsight Module

Allows anyone with a Tactical Module to fire at anyone in LOS of another person with a tactical module without penalty.  Could be hard to code, just my idea based off their ability.  Alternatively, +3 accuracy if within 5 spaces of another person with a Secton upgraded module. 

Psion - Mesmer Grenades

Small radius, cause non-robotics to stand up, lose all time units, and walk a few squares in a random direction.

Reaper - Reaper Claws

Absolutely deadly close range weapon.  Like really super high damage.  Bonus if it uses the idea at the end

Servitor (requires EMP to allow capture) - Heal Beam

Secondary weapon, lets vehicles carry a 3 range medkit that can heal other vehicles too. 

Cyberdrone - Cyberdisk Vehicle

Floating/hovering version of the Mars rover. 

Bonus idea - Rather than unlocking everything for manufacturing, manufacturing the upgraded modules requires captured aliens.  So more Stalker or Healing modules requires more captured Stalkers/Sebillians, Reaper Claws need Reapers, etc.  Gives a good minigame for capturing, and makes capture stuff more enticing to bring. 

Anyway, great game.  Want ot post more thoughts after I have more time to digest. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I this this is a great idea. Might be a bit of effort but the idea that dead/captured aliens can allow for the creation of unique gear is a great incentive for the researching and upgrading of non-lethal strategies. It also creates more of a storage dilemma as it stands you can just sell all corpses and captured specimens and there's no real reason to capture besides story progression (like sure captured aliens have a higher resale but is it even worth the effort?). As it stands you kind of just need to kill and sell everything and this gives a reason to be tactful and to try and actually understand the enemy and weaponize the enemy. As long as the equipment provided are mainly side grades or extra utility I would not mind something like this.

On 7/28/2023 at 8:41 PM, GreyICE said:

Reaper - Reaper Claws

Absolutely deadly close range weapon.  Like really super high damage.  Bonus if it uses the idea at the end

Honestly all of your ideas are pretty cool, but THAT ^^^ I would LOVE to have!  Something like the Drill or Thermal Lance in X-COM 2 terror from the deep.  I love having at least one melee dude on my team.  New weapon could maybe be called "The Jaws of Death", a play on "The Jaws of Life" EMS tool.  :)

As an long-time Gamer of that Game (from the first Beta) the 1x Refits of Modules and similar to an upgraded Version with dead and living-Aliens and Alien-Tech are great. For more advanced Versions of the upgraded-Versions is clear that you need more of that Parts and captured Living Aliens for different Techs.

Captured Living Aliens as extra Helpers to integrate Alien-Techs to Standard- / Upraded Human Techs sounds very interessting. That Idea was in the Game already, but flow out for several Reasons (but that wasn´t the Idea of the Testers). Let´s hope that such an great Idea comes in again, esp. after the most Community-Part whish that.

What the announced Content / Features the Comrade belongs I aggree with that. After the first Gamers of the Community come in some older Ideas from us Beta-Testers / Developers to make Xenonauts 2 great come up again.

• Like 1

Having these wonderful modals is great, but they should be attached to either your  webbing, uniform, weapon or pocketed, not just put in your back pack, it is so pedestrian, and holds back the reality of the game, if this game is going to get there, the costumes that are portrayed on the scream need to more in keeping with want player would expect!!

On 7/29/2023 at 2:41 AM, GreyICE said:

Bonus idea - Rather than unlocking everything for manufacturing, manufacturing the upgraded modules requires captured aliens.  So more Stalker or Healing modules requires more captured Stalkers/Sebillians, Reaper Claws need Reapers, etc.  Gives a good minigame for capturing, and makes capture stuff more enticing to bring. 

Yes yes yes, I think this is brilliant. I was thinking of more gadgets and things, perhaps tying them into the rank or medal system, but having to capture aliens to make modules is genius. Bravo. Here are some more suggestions to add to your list. Numbers given are just examples, I've not given much though to balance!

Mantid – Spycam grenade
A throwable object (like a grenade) that reveals the fog of war around it when it lands.

Wraith – Cloaking Field
A cloaking field that makes you harder to hit, or perhaps makes you immune to overwatch fire. Turns off after you fire your weapon.

Wraith – Cloaking Field disruptor
A low TU but high area-of-effect weapon that disables a Wraith’s cloaking field.

Servitor – Mechanic fieldkit
Like a first aid kit but used to restore armour, or the health of your MARS robots.

Servitor – Scanner
Gives a general indication of where other units are on the map. (Like in the original XCOM).

Servitor – Electronet
Fires an electrified net at an enemy. If they fail a strength check then the net has them trapped, reducing their TU to 0 and holding them in place. (Xenonauts can then rush in with stun batons!) The strength check is re-rolled each turn. So if you caught a strong enemy, be careful as they might break out!

Sebillian - Autoinjector
The current autoinjector module, because I think it’s currently OP but would be more balanced if you needed to capture a live Sebillian to manufacture a single one.

Sebillian – Stemcell Injector
Apply to a Xenonaut “corpse” within two turns to bring them back to life with 10HP. Or alternatively, apply to a Xenonaut “corpse” within three turns to increase the chance that the Xenonaut actually survives the mission.

Cyberdrone – Acoustic Sensor
Indicates the direction of aliens / friendlies within a certain range if you can’t directly see them. Could work better on non-stealthy aliens, e.g. Sebillians.

Cyberdrone – Barrage
Calls in an off-map smoke or HE barrage. (Basically like dropping a smoke or HE grenade directly down from the sky). Particularly effective against terrain. Max one use per turn.

Reaper – Adrenaline shot
Free to use, immediately grants the user +10TU. Max one use per turn, max three uses per mission.

Psyon – Psi amplifier
Transfers a set number of TUs (10?) from the holder to a nearby Xenonaut.

• Thanks 1