[1.21-Ground Combat] Lizardman melee attack doesn't say it ignores riot shield

Chthon

I had a lizardman (can't remember the name) attack in melee one of my shield soldiers with a full hp riot shield from the front. I fully expected the riot shield to take the blow as not only is that shield huge, bulky, prevents the soldier from going around many objects, and nothing in the lizardman's bio suggests that his melee attack ignores shields. Instead he just attacked my hp directly as if he was attacking from behind.

Considering common usage of riot shields in the US, I can honestly say that this is not how they would work, unless the alien had some mechanic that explained it in it's bio. I just don't see it happening. I think this is a bug as a result.

Edited by Chthon

• Chthon changed the title to [1.21-Ground Combat] Lizardman melee attack doesn't say it ignores riot shield
3 hours ago, DaviddesJ said:

That just means that the attack doesn't damage armor. It doesn't mean that the armor didn't reduce the damage.

The riot shield has a pool of 80 hp itself. It isn't just armor. The lizardman's attack ignored the riot shield from the front. You are missing the point.

Soldier --- Shield wall --- Lizardman

There is no way the Lizardman should be able to hit the soldier without even damaging the shield first.

Enemy projectiles work the same way. From the front they deal damage to the 80 hp of the shield before they start to damage the soldier.

On 7/19/2023 at 10:02 AM, Chthon said:

I had a lizardman (can't remember the name) attack in melee one of my shield soldiers with a full hp riot shield from the front. I fully expected the riot shield to take the blow as not only is that shield huge, bulky, prevents the soldier from going around many objects, and nothing in the lizardman's bio suggests that his melee attack ignores shields. Instead he just attacked my hp directly as if he was attacking from behind.

Considering common usage of riot shields in the US, I can honestly say that this is not how they would work, unless the alien had some mechanic that explained it in it's bio. I just don't see it happening. I think this is a bug as a result.

Can confirm this, seems like all aliens' melee attacks ignore the soldiers' shields.

Also I agree, in my opinion this is a bug, not really enjoyable if intended, would mean the shield users are even more helpless after the first month of combat as is.