Destructable alien ships?

No, not yet. There was a point where we had fully destructible UFOs but they were uglier and people didn’t like them (we’ve since made them look better but they’re still not as interesting).

I need to think about whether we try to add defined “destroyed” points to existing designs like X1 mods did, or just add in the destructible UFOs as an alternative option.

• Like 1

You can solve the issue by making it a research option after Alleneum done to build a "breaching charge" one use will make a soldier sized "door" in the hull. IT should be something you need to make special for the tougher shell of the UFO.

• Like 1

This topic has been discussed to the death since the old X1 days, and there is no elegant solution out there. Not sure about the mods on how they did it in old X1

If there is any simple solution I would think is to simplify the destruction points, instead of each destructible single grid(I never saw the old destructable UFOs in X1, not sure if that was the case), you have large breach points on each side of the UFO(as divided by red on the scout here).

Once one part of the point gets destroyed, debris(in blue) would form up to show an 'explosion chunk', and the UFO interior(in green) should be accessible from there. The areas around the red lines would definitely be indestructible so as to maintain the structure of the UFO.

But I assume that this was thought about long ago since X1, or the dev already had that idea, but execution was not as expected. Either way considering that X2 is now fully 3D(easier to create debris than X1's 2D limitations) I'm looking forward for mod support or what chris said about alternative options.

Untitled.png

• Like 1

It would even be cool if you could destroy a roof tile and breach it from above... assuming there is some way to get on top?  I am not far enough into the game to know if you get jet packs or anything yet.  But I remember fondly in the original X-COM using that football launcher to blow a 1x1 hole in the roof of huge alien ships, and sending in flying dudes in armor to take them out the commanders on their top deck directly without going through all the floors of the vehicle.  Of course, that was kind of end-game game play, not something you could do until you got all that tech, so it seemed balanced to me.

On 7/20/2023 at 10:13 AM, Mr.Xia said:

This topic has been discussed to the death since the old X1 days, and there is no elegant solution out there. Not sure about the mods on how they did it in old X1

If there is any simple solution I would think is to simplify the destruction points, instead of each destructible single grid(I never saw the old destructable UFOs in X1, not sure if that was the case), you have large breach points on each side of the UFO(as divided by red on the scout here).

Once one part of the point gets destroyed, debris(in blue) would form up to show an 'explosion chunk', and the UFO interior(in green) should be accessible from there. The areas around the red lines would definitely be indestructible so as to maintain the structure of the UFO.

But I assume that this was thought about long ago since X1, or the dev already had that idea, but execution was not as expected. Either way considering that X2 is now fully 3D(easier to create debris than X1's 2D limitations) I'm looking forward for mod support or what chris said about alternative options.

Untitled.png

Thats how the Fire in the Hole mod works in X1

Sometimes the ship even has some of the holes already when it gets shot down

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:20 PM, Dren608 said:

You can solve the issue by making it a research option after Alleneum done to build a "breaching charge" one use will make a soldier sized "door" in the hull. IT should be something you need to make special for the tougher shell of the UFO.

Yeh defo also @Chrisshould there not be a hole where they rocket hit the ship