A few suggestions

euskai

Sorry, it came up in a recent thread and hit my inner aliens button :)

Sort of a replacement for Proximity grenades/mines. Since they are quite easy to spot, having the aliens with defensive turrets in UFOs or drones wouldn't unbalance the game unduly. Such things would be just another robotic alien foe really. You'd just see them more often.

I suspect you'd have a harder time dealing with the alien ones (since you have to wipe them out/gain control of their craft) than they would have with yours. They'd be handy in base defences and alien bases too, to cover your rear end.

They possibly wouldn't be the 200 round aliens killers of the move, but would be fun. Alas, I fear they would mess quite a bit with the 1979 setting.

A rotary self powered gun like that has been in development since WWII (Vulcans). I think the first 20mm versions were tested in the 50's. The XM134 (7.62mm) was used as door guns Hueys in Vietnam. Hardpoints for the gun were on a variety of other period helicopters.

Motion detectors similiar to what are used in burglar alarms have been around since the 1950's.

Yeah, let's install few automatic machineguns with motion detectors to the mainstreet while trying to rescue panicking citizens. What could go wrong? :) Ofcourse building a sentrygun could be unlocked by researching a captured "live" drone so that could explain why they can be programmed not to shoot at friendly units.

I think more of a problem would be if the sentryguns would work like any other item in the game and the player coud carry dozens of them to missions and create "walls of fire". That would quite surely break the balance of the game. Or the sentries should be nerfed until they're practically useless. Or they could be made like units and you could choose either one tank or four sentries and at that point they should be able to move around on their own and they would end up resembling more like mini-tanks than sentryguns.

Sentry guns?

Low ammo (you'd need a soldier carrying extra amo to reload it)

Big and heavy

No real IFF (possibly) - this is what you would use when boarding an UFO or clearing a building to secure an acess point. You want to make sure nothing comes from section A while you're clearing section B