Do they actually play the game against you in a strategic level (build bases, scout, attack your base etc) or is just random scripted events like Xcom:EU, where you get couple of random abduction missions that magically appear once every month?

Sorry if it's a noob question, but I loved XCOM:EU great graphics and all but was lacking in strategic substance. Felt the events were scripted and linear. I rather play a game that has substance than graphics.

I'm mostly likely getting the alpha $29.99 preorder just to support these independent developers eventhough I never played the original Xcom.

Thanks.

Yes, they do send out UFOs to build bases, cause terror sites and attack you bases and you can stop them by shooting down UFOs with those missions. And UFOs will attempt to destroy your fighters and transports when they are headed to their destinations as well. Unlike EU, the majority of missions in Xenonauts are crashed UFOs, so it's not a game of press X to get mission.

Edited by Gorzahg

Sweet thanks.

I was going to start playing original UFO defence since I missed out on it back in the day, and really loved playing the new XCOM: EU even though it felt a bit dumbed down for the consoles. But just purchased the premium preorder for this one and downloading the beta right now since its pretty much the same game as original Xcom game from what I can tell.

Hmm, original used system were aliens had randomly generated ufos(aka, they spawn from nowhere and there is percent change of what type they are and what they are going to do) doing "missions" that in practice worked by subtracting "score" from your end of month score if they succeeded. There are of course situations like that if infiltration scout succeeds then there comes multiple ships to finish infiltration and that if you shoot down some ships then likely of retaliation mission ufos is higher. I'm not sure about this game, but I figure out that it works the same.

So, no, there isn't geoscape "AI" for ufos in original that plays game against you and I doubt there is such here.