UFOs & Being Horrible (part 2)

Chris

I would suggest changing shape and size first. Make them more compatible with the tile system. There are obviously a middle ground between flying phenomena of beautiful shapes and "pancake stacks" as has been shown.
A thousand times this! The ships look beautiful, for sure, but I know I'd rather have an ugly, amazing game than a flawed beautiful game.

I'd have to agree.

These are my opinions, what keeps me playing a game, and what I believe games should be about. I will always take gameplay and functional/interactive environments over scenery in a game. Scenery is great, but it is static and brings nothing to the longevity of a tile. Interactive environments can still be stylized to fit the surrounding atmosphere. Minecraft is a stunning example of gampelay/mechanics over scenery.

zzz1010 has some nice examples of the grid inside the ships. My vote would be modify whatever to keep the indoor outdoor interaction of the previous game. Too much interaction would be lost imho by breaking the mission in two.

Blowing out any section of the ship may add to many assets, but perhaps a middle ground would be allowing certain "weak points" to be blown away. A mix of a more stylized external ship assets and weak points may be the sweet spot.

That would be nice if it was tied in to research as well.

After researching the alien ship you learn that it's weapon bay doors are a weak point so you can breach them with C4.

Maybe the engine room has weaker armour in some places to allow the engines to function more effectively so make for an available breach point.

They would be able to be breached without the research of course but the research would give you a nice little picture showing where to put your C4.

This would involve making a few small areas with default, damaged, destroyed versions but limiting it to specific areas would cut down on how many assets would need creating while allowing a bit of extra thought when breaching.

It also only works if ships are made small enough to fit onto a level with outdoor areas.

That would be nice if it was tied in to research as well.

After researching the alien ship you learn that it's weapon bay doors are a weak point so you can breach them with C4.

Maybe the engine room has weaker armour in some places to allow the engines to function more effectively so make for an available breach point.

They would be able to be breached without the research of course but the research would give you a nice little picture showing where to put your C4.

This would involve making a few small areas with default, damaged, destroyed versions but limiting it to specific areas would cut down on how many assets would need creating while allowing a bit of extra thought when breaching.

It also only works if ships are made small enough to fit onto a level with outdoor areas.

I love the idea of tying it to research. After visiting a specific ship type crash site (or a few visits) a research option would be added with something like "ship type" structural study or "ship type" hull design.

Edited by irongamer