25.3 crash to desktop when going into engineering

Skitso

30 minutes ago, Chris said:

@SkitsoTurns out this bug is almost certainly an example of this annoying bug. You don't happen to have all your old saves from that campaign still, do you?

I'll check tomorrow. I have deleted many of the older save folders so I might not have them any more. Can you tell what the campaign name was?

5 hours ago, Skitso said:

There you go. @Chris. Hopefully these help you squish the bug. :)

590975979_allsavesbeforecrash.zip 75.96 MB · 0 downloads

Perfect, thanks very much. I won't be able to confirm until I've spoken to the coders but this might be enough to finally fix the bug, as it looks to me like we can reproduce the corruption occuring via the tactical saves.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

@Skitso Unfortunately even this isn't enough for the bug. We noticed a few interesting things here:

• The crash happens if you load any save in your last tactical mission and return to strategy.
  • There's no Turn 1 Start save for that mission, whereas there is for all the other missions. Unless you deleted it yourself, it seems like the game might have got corrupted during the process of loading the tactical combat, and that's why it doesn't exist. If so then this bug isn't tied to anything that happens in tactical combat.
  • There were three air combat battles before the tactical battle. I'm guessing you probably fought those manually? I think the corruption probably happened during one of those. Looks like you fought two battles against a Destroyer where you lost planes and lost the battle, probably reloading a save between them? And then loaded a third time and ignored the Destroyer, and just shot down the Scout (and fought the tactical mission). Do you remember anything interesting about them? Was that sequence of events correct? Were they all manual battles? Did you retreat your aircraft? etc

It seems like the bug might be something that doesn't get saved into a save game.

17 hours ago, Skitso said:

I have autoresolved all air combats.

Huh. That's very interesting if true. Are you absolutely sure you never went into manual air combat, say after you lost an autoresolved combat you didn't try and fight it manually to get a better result?

Because our working theory is that this is caused by manual air combat, so if you're certain you never went into the manual air combat then that might be wrong and maybe it's instead linked to aircraft being shot down or something similar.

54 minutes ago, Chris said:

Huh. That's very interesting if true. Are you absolutely sure you never went into manual air combat, say after you lost an autoresolved combat you didn't try and fight it manually to get a better result?

Because our working theory is that this is caused by manual air combat, so if you're certain you never went into the manual air combat then that might be wrong and maybe it's instead linked to aircraft being shot down or something similar.

Sorry, can't be absolute certain of that. I have tried manual combat few times, but I'm almost 100% positive that I've never at least accepted the manual air combat result and continued the campaign from there.

Sorry for the vagueness, but I really can't remeber the circumstances that well anymore.

Edited by Skitso

2 hours ago, Skitso said:

Sorry, can't be absolute certain of that. I have tried manual combat few times, but I'm almost 100% positive that I've never at least accepted the manual air combat result and continued the campaign from there.

Sorry for the vagueness, but I really can't remeber the circumstances that well anymore.

No problem - it's much better you admit you can't remember than for us to end up working from incorrect information!