[v25.2 - General] Freeze on saving game

asdfcyber

The game froze when trying to save. Music kept playing, but the interface is unresponsive. I have roughly 250 savefiles if that's of any interest, of which 25 are from the current campaign.

image.thumb.png.73001e4e48f84f2010ae50b3f274a121.png

The logs say the save did work and the save is also actually there, so I'm not sure what the problem is here. I included that save, the previous save and the log.

output.log user_day_13_crash_site_manual_save-3.json auto_groundcombat_turn_3_start-17.json

4 hours ago, asdfcyber said:

The game froze when trying to save. Music kept playing, but the interface is unresponsive. I have roughly 250 savefiles if that's of any interest, of which 25 are from the current campaign.

image.thumb.png.73001e4e48f84f2010ae50b3f274a121.png

The logs say the save did work and the save is also actually there, so I'm not sure what the problem is here. I included that save, the previous save and the log.

output.log 6.01 MB · 1 download user_day_13_crash_site_manual_save-3.json 1.2 MB · 0 downloads auto_groundcombat_turn_3_start-17.json 1.24 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks. Yeah, there's no obvious error in the logs that you'd expect to see if there was a crash.

Can you reproduce the issue if you load the previous save and then press End Turn? I'm wondering if the sheer number of saves is causing issues. If you can reproduce it, it'd be great if you could move your saves to a different directory and then try again.

BTW, your profile pic looks vaugely familiar. Is it the star map from Homeworld?

14 hours ago, Chris said:

Can you reproduce the issue if you load the previous save and then press End Turn? I'm wondering if the sheer number of saves is causing issues. If you can reproduce it, it'd be great if you could move your saves to a different directory and then try again.

It does not, and manually saving after that doesn't either. So it seems to be quite an elusive problem. I also remember checking cpu/gpu/ram usage when it happened and those were all fine.

14 hours ago, Chris said:

BTW, your profile pic looks vaugely familiar. Is it the star map from Homeworld?

It is :)

7 hours ago, asdfcyber said:

It does not, and manually saving after that doesn't either. So it seems to be quite an elusive problem. I also remember checking cpu/gpu/ram usage when it happened and those were all fine.

It is :)

Nice to see you're a man of good taste :)

Anyway, another possibility for the crash might be some kind of memory leak. Had you been playing a long time? If you'd checked cpu/gpu/ram usage before the crash then I guess it couldn't have been that, but if you only checked it afterwards then the game would have returned all its memory allocation when it crashed so it wouldn't be showing up.

Such a crash while saving happened to me too, once.

I opened the game menu, pressed "save game", and then while the harddrive was audibly busy listing the existing savegames I directly pressed "save game" quite quickly - then it froze. The savegame also was not broken. It seemed to me that it might be related to the large number of savegames and my aged PC (Savegame Folder is on a HDD).

I clear the auto-save folder from time to time since.

// i5-2500k - Radeon Fury Nitro 4GB - 16GB RAM - Win10 //

11 hours ago, Chris said:

Anyway, another possibility for the crash might be some kind of memory leak. Had you been playing a long time? If you'd checked cpu/gpu/ram usage before the crash then I guess it couldn't have been that, but if you only checked it afterwards then the game would have returned all its memory allocation when it crashed so it wouldn't be showing up.

I think I'd been playing for an hour or so, so somewhat long but definitely not as long as some other times. I checked the usage after it froze but before I alt-f4'd it (which prompted windows to tell me the program wasn't responsive, thanks windows). I don't remember specific values but if it happens again I'll list them.

Maybe you have to much Saves and have loaded an incompatile one from an older Mission-Folder. Delete older named Mission-Screens (V.25.0 / V.25.1) with the Codenames. They are in the Save-Folder.

Then the Game will run fine again.

That´s the only explenation I have. Did the same mistake and got an corrupt Game then. Since then all old Saves from previous Beta-Versions get deleted and an complete fresh Game get started.

Edited by Alienkiller

• 2 weeks later...

I just had it happen again when manually saving. I had been playing for a few hours this time. In case it is related: there are over 300+ saves in my current campaign, but the last manual save worked fine at over 270-ish saves which is already more than the ~250 I had when this first occurred.

On 12/20/2022 at 9:20 PM, Chris said:

Anyway, another possibility for the crash might be some kind of memory leak.

I have observed the memory leak as described here:

But I have not yet tested if (manually) saving increases memory usage or if the issue only happens at high memory usage.