I was wondering how making the ocean part of the geo-scape and overall mission would be a good yet easy concept to ad. Perhaps as a late game stage you can discover underwater threats etc...

Also it be nice if some crashed craft into ocean would be able to salvaged, the missions can be very much the same except underwater so mapping them would be quite easy. The thing is you would want it to be something that is researched into and require perhaps even a sea base in order to perform sea recovery missions.

This would ad in a bonus dynamic to the game, so many UFO's crashing into the ocean, surely the Aliens only weakness isn't water?

Just a thought, I think atm they need to focus on other things but slapping in some basic underwater missions could be quite easy to do since the levels of marine floors are pretty simply and very easy to randomly generate (because structures like coral and sea weed etc are not complexed).

heh

I don't think it's possible. It would require a massive work creating the sprites for the underwater soldiers... They can't just use a mask, they would need a whole new outfit. Same thing for the aliens...

Terror From the Deep is cool, but I never could "swallow" the fact that both humans and aliens moved so naturally underwater, same animation as on dry land.

TFD was a cool game, but I'd much rather see more added to Xeno then trying make another TFD. Having naval units in Xeno would be really cool. If you could launch interceptors from ships or subs that would be awesome. Plus using naval units as bases for radar and your assault troops would be very handy and cool. There really isn't a reason why you couldn't have a fully functional base on a ship. They're not that big.

Edited by StellarRat

Adding an entire set of underwater tiles and maps, not to mention plausible underwater weaponry (superheating water while you are near it probably isn't the best of ideas) would be a lot of work that is not integral to the game being good. However this could be an interesting project for modders after the game is completed. There would be a lot of interesting concepts and battle methods that could be explored. Maybe something more realistic than TFTD for underwater combat would be more interesting.