What exactly is "funding level"

Different regions have different funding levels. It seems to me that it probably refers to that region's base payment to X Command (or whatever it's called in Xenonauts), but does whether or not you have a base in the region make any difference? For example, I can still cover just about all of Europe with my base in Egypt, but the N. Africa funding level is lower than Europe. Does if make any difference in that sense where I put my base? Should I have gone ahead and put my base on the other side of the Mediterranean?

Regions do not start at the exact same amount of funding. But, they do seem to adjust their funding quite freely. Shooting down UFOs over North Africa will net an increase in funding from them at the end of the month. If the aliens succeed in their mischief (like the pips that appear in Geoscape telling about mall strafings and whatnot), the region will reduce their funding.

I've figured that the funding levels change according to the quality of my Xenonauts' interventions of alien activity, but does whether or not I have a base in a given region make any economic difference? For example, I can cover just about all of Europe with my base in Egypt, but the N. Africa baseline funding level is lower than that of Europe. Should I have gone ahead and put my base on the northern side of the Mediterranean or is there no difference in regional funding?

Logically, it seems to me that it shouldn't have an impact. However, when placing a base the game makes sure to highlight each geographical region and to specify its funding level. That implies to me that it's information I should use to make my decision.

Edited by Korval
corrected typo

It has an effect in a way.

Your base being placed into an area will have no effect, the base being there will just mean your actions will have more of an effect in that area purely because that is the only area they will be able to reach.

If you place your base where you can only cover your lowest funding area with no overlay into others then you may struggle to keep your head above water if the other nations begin to reduce their funding.

Many people choose a high funding area to begin their game because they will be more able to hold on to the nation they are based in.

If they lose the lower funders but keep the higher one (and hopefully the ones immediately around it) then the money is still coming in.