CPU usage -- too high!

It happens the same with X1. These games (X1 and X2) have a high CPU/GPU usage, even when X1 is not "thinking" in its turn. I remember in my last run in X1CE one year ago with my old laptop (ASUS) that it was getting temperatures of 80º-85º while playing X1. With other games (FTL, Don't Starve... etc) I was getting 60-70ºC. I had a very warm winter while playing X1 <3

My new laptop (MSI) have similar problem when I compare X1CE and X2 with other similar TBS. X2 have a bigger impact than other similar games. Even more impact that other 3D-real time-role playing game. Maybe this happen because X1 was poorly coded and X2 is still a beta - but in case X2 have the same background coding with everything "enabled" in your code, please, consider shut down non-essencial threads or task while they aren't need. I know this request may sound simplistic for a complex code (I'm a long-term software dev too), but consider doing it if you have the chance.

Edit: I'm not sure about the frame rate, but a frame rate limiter may be a cheap solution to avoid this problem in X2.

Edited by Juan

Most of the current high-CPU usage (when everything is "idling") is coming from the dynamic batching that Unity is doing as most meshes haven't been statically batched. Given that we're in a destructible environment that's rather hard to do and we want to wait until late in development where we better know which usecases we can easily batch, and which ones we cannot.

Having said that - High CPU temperature is mostly because the machine is simply using what's asked from it.
I can "optimize" the game (to give more FPS), but I'll always ask the hardware to give it's fullest potential.
In a game you tend not to want to leave performance on the table... 

A framelimiter does mitigate this if FPS is high enough for you and I'll add it as a task for the settings screen for Chris to review.

• 2 years later...