[V2.1, V3.0 - Ground Combat] alien head indicator on while alien in complete darkness (undiscovered part of map)

wulf 21

Right after alien turn was over, I got displayed 2 alien warnings. One of the aliens actually was in complete darkness (undiscovered part of map). I moused over darkness with xenonaut selected until I found the location of the alien and then cicled throuh my xenonauts until I found that it was the shield guy (PVT Markov) of whom the game thinks that he can see the alien.

Something weird must be happening there. It can be seen that the alien is out of viewing range and weapon range, however probably there is no view-blocking obstacle in between. Maybe the viewing range calculation for the alien indicator/mouseover actually does restart with 0 range from a non-view-blocking obstacle (the low pile of boxes) or something like that.

Additionally sent a quick report with F11 while it happened (maybe something in that auto-collected data).

Screenshot scaled down to 75% of side length, because Forum somehow did not let me upload original 2.4 MB file.

2019-02-26_2111_1.thumb.png.8acee27ff3c443963e2541495101aace.png

Edited by wulf 21

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen it in V3.0 again.

It was directly after the alien turn. First 2 screenshots show the result and who can "see" the alien from 2 differnt perspectives. It is worth noting that there was an alien within the area I can see at the beginning of the alien turn that then ran away into the darkness. However I can't know if it was the same alien as I later discovered there were multiple aliens in the building. But from the way the alien is standing in the siluette displayed through the wall, it could be the one (it is turned away from the spot where the alien I could see was before).

Third screenshot is after next alien turn where I again see an alien in darkness. Again I dont know if it was the same, but that would certainly make sense. In this case it could be that the game does sometimes not properly recalculate if I can still see a specific alien after the alien turn. Moving another xenonaut in, so he can see the alien and then away again after this seemed to "fix" the issue (alien was not longer displayed while in the "fog" next turn).

2019-03-14_1211_1.thumb.png.80148c7e8377018a20942f3bed32ad76.png

2019-03-14_1211_2.thumb.png.8dbb9148ba2a40a4fc79bd3da1528a02.png

2019-03-14_1214_1.thumb.png.c05edc0ff00a113dc4cad993b78805b5.png

Ugh, guess we didn't fix this one after all. This sort of bug is something I'm not going to try and fix in the hotfix (it might cause other bugs) but I'll log it for us to take a look at before the next build.

Thanks for the report.

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:56 PM, Chris said:

Thanks. I think this one will be fixed in V3 as there was an issue with the view distances that we fixed a few weeks back, so I'll assume it's fixed already and please repost it if you see it again in V3.

I've had this issue in V4.2 as well. There is a red alien icon, and the cursor will highlight it, but the soldier can't shoot it.